TG recovery

• 7 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi.  I have found much comfort in the stomach cancer forum over the last few months, hearing so many tales of recovery.  My dad (72) had a TG on Friday, I know its very early days but I feel so desperately helpless seeing him so frail. He is delirious and having to be sedated, I was just wondering if this was common or anyone else had experienced this on here? But on a positive note I think the operation was a success they think they removed all the cancer (I think we are waiting on tests on lymph nodes etc.) 

• Sending love to you and your dad, hope he starts to feel better soon x

• Thank you. I just looked at you posting history and see you have now had your first chemo, hope everything is going ok. x

• If anyone reads this in the future and is worried about this post TG, my dad is doing well and back (mentally) to his old self, it lasted about 3 days.  It was possibly the morphine or an infection that made him delirious. He should be coming out of hospital on Saturday (day 9) which seems pretty good from where we were earlier in the week! :-)

• That’s great news!  It’s so hard when someone you love is so unwell.  Hopefully he is now on the road to recovery! 

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Thank you.  I love seeing yours and others posts about your life post gastrectomy and eating/drinking/life getting back to normal :-) I'm going to encourage my dad to look on this forum 

• Yes it would e good for your dad to read this forum, it’ll give him hope that soon things will be more or less back to normal. 
    My husband was 79 when he had his TG a year ago last month, he doesn’t do social media so it’s up to me to do it for him and also gives me hope as well. Just to let your dad know he’s doing absolutely fine, came out of hospital on the 7th day, food was a bit of a problem to start with also very tired, now he eats most food in smaller portions, bread can be a no no sometimes, his weight is more or less stable but finds it hard to put weight on, also hard for me trying to get the calories in for him and out for me lol.
    I think he’s been very lucky as he hasn’t had dumping but does get bile reflux often at night.

Good luck to your dad xx

Sue Xx
  • Thank you Sue! I have really taken comfort from your posts too.  When dad was first diagnosed I obsessively read the 'my journey so far' thread, I think it stopped me from totally losing the plot! I will pass this on to dad xx