Devastated. Just had gastroscopy 7cm ulcer discovered, likely cancerous

• 21 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Feel like I've been ignored. Don't even know where to start. I'm 68 year old type 2 diabetic female. I started getting feelings of nausea back in 2019. Was sent for endoscopy which showed food still left in stomach so had to have this repeated. Same again. Referred to GI. was under Gi on and off over the next few years. I've had various ultrasounds and ct scans, my last ct scan was last May. I had a further blood test to check my liver function which was normal. I was discharged from Gastro in August last year. I felt something had changed. My symptoms were getting worse so I went to see my gp who didn't even examine my stomach and said my symptoms were likely due to a previously diagnosed hiatus hernia. I insisted on being referred to the endoscopy unit. My GP marked my referral as URGENT (22/11/23) I telephoned endoscopy on 5/12/23 only to be told the consultant had changed my appointment to ROUTINE. Unbelievable. How can they do that? How could this cancerous ulcer get to this size and been missed. I feel totally let down after having followed everything I was asked to do. It's the size of the ulcer that's worrying me. Had a blood test done and going for a ct scan on Tuesday I'll come back and update when I know more but for now I'm living with hope 

• What a worrying time for you!  Have you now been diagnosed with stomach cancer, it’s not clear from your post.  Hopefully the CT and other tests will give a clearer picture and you can get a treatment plan.

It’s hard until you know what you’re dealing with, especially as you have been feeling unwell for so long! 

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi Jac

Thank you for your reply. Sorry if my post was unclear. I guess I'm in shock as this was totally unexpected. My GP kept putting my symptoms down to my hiatus hernia but after my gastroscopy the consultant wanted me to wait until my husband arrived before he would tell me anything and then he told us I had a large ulcer that was likely cancerous. He said they'd taken 8 biopsies and referred me straight to hospital. I can't help but worry, mainly because of the size of it. I do hope i can get a treatment plan.I'll come back when I learn more. Thanks again for your reply

• Oh my goodness what a shock for you and I can understand you must feel very angry and let down.  There will be a treatment plan and you will feel better once that’s clearer.  
    Hang in there 

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• An awful shock for you! However the multi disciplinary team will have a treatment plan for you so try and stay positive x

• Hi there,

So sorry that you find yourself here and I can completely understand why you're angry and upset with all those delays to diagnosis. I just wanted to let you know that my dad, on diagnosis had an ulcer of 7-8cm on endoscopy and he's still here. It will be 7 years in May from his diagnosis. So yes, the size is scary, but try to stay hopeful and positive.

SDH

Knowledge makes us stronger. Research, question, share and demand more from your doctors. Read my profile for my dad's stage IV story.

• So sorry to hear this… such a worrying time for you… once a treatment plan is sorted you’ll get more information… take care! 
    Michele 

• Thanks for sharing your dad’s story, it really helps to keep positive, I’m starting chemotherapy tomorrow x

• Thank you so much for your reply which has actually really helped me. I'm so happy that your dad is doing so well after his initial diagnosis. I had a ct scan on Tuesday so I'll update when I know my result. The waiting is the worst part after the initial shock. Thanks again

• At my first gastroscopy last November they said my tumour was 3cm, at the second gastroscopy which was done at the same time as the laparoscopy some 3 weeks later they said that it was 3mm.

After asking a number of questions to clarify the size given that the second gastroscopy said the tumour was 10 times smaller and the staging was unclear to me.

I found out that the tumour is 3mm but it is the depth and spread that is also taken into consideration when staging the cancer. After speaking with the Mackmillan nurse she explained this very clearly to me.

So if you get told anything you need explained again keep asking  until it is clear to you as the waiting period is the worst time 

They pointed me to the following:

www.cancerresearchuk.org/.../stages

I wish you all the very best xx