Two weeks post op

• 4 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi all, I’m happy to report I’m now two weeks post total gastrectomy.and starting to feel good. Recovery was pretty fast and eating has its challenges but I’m so happy to be this side of the experience. Right at this moment I’m on antibiotics for a very minor complication (necrotic segment of spleen) I have numbness in my right thumb from the arterial line and pain in my left wrist radiating? From a further arterial line attempt or some other reason not yet established BUT the main op is great. I had the stitches out yesterday and I can have a proper shower tomorrow- hooray! I kept a food diary so I could see what foods cause the most discomfort. When I eat toast or bread the discomfort is strong and I need to walk for 10 mins to help distract or aid gravity, not really sure. I still have an off day where I feel nauseous all day but they are much fewer now. My hardest item to bear post op was the nasogastric tube which constantly made me retch and it was so uncomfortable. When they removed it on day 5 I actually think I hugged the nurse. I’ve even been to lunch with my friends today and ordered a starter and picked slowly through it during the meal without any trouble. I go to see oncologist next week to discuss the need for chemotherapy then I’m nome and dry. Everyone says I look great and they are really surprised I even had an op! Good job they don’t see me all day!. 

• So good to hear you are through the surgery and are recovering so well!  I think bread can be difficult at first as it bulks up in your stomach!  I am sure it felt great to be out for a meal too..well done! 
    It’s great to hear such a positive story ! 

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi Milly,

Really good to read your story as I lie here awake at 4am unable to sleep Sleeping thinking about my operation on Thu, but I am staying positive and I'm sure all will be ok. 

• We can chat when it’s all done. The operation itself was a lot easier than I anticipated. I tried to do too much at first and had more pain from pulled muscles than the op site! I’m almost three weeks post op and feeling really good- no pains anywhere and eating is less difficult. Amazing how our bodies adapt. I can’t believe that in 4-6 months I’ll be eating the same foods as before just smaller. I found I didn’t like the taste of certain foods after which I really liked before. Still losing weight but I believe that’s normal. I’m tired a lot of the time but really happy to be out the other end and the operation all done. I look forward to hearing your experience and message anytime. It’s tomorrow isn’t it? Luck is not needed just take care to rest plenty after and begin the journey of recovery x

• Thank you Jac for being there along the way. There are times I feel left in a limbo with no advice so your reassurance means everything. X