Total Gastrectomy operation date

• 2 replies
  • 25 subscribers

I have just been given my operation date for the 9th May and was wondering if anyone who has already been through this process if there are any other appointments pre op check ups or anything before hand, I would like to get a final holiday in before my life changes dramatically. 

• It’s good that you have a date and my only advice is to use the time to get as fit physically and mentally!  There will be a pre op assessment but that’s usually a week or so before the surgery.  I was on an Enhanced Recovery program which meant I had lung / breathing exercises to do and some drinks  to take the night before and the morning of the operation.  I planned lots of nice things to do so a holiday would be lovely!  
    I has lots of meals out as I had ii in my head that I wouldn’t eat a burger or curry again!  Didn’t turn out to be the case!

I also researched what I would be able to eat after surgery so I was as well prepared as possible!  
    You’re on the last lap to getting rid of the cancer so good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Glad you have your date Mick, as Jac says just the fitness thing a week or so before, my husband didn’t  have to do much on that in fact  we were surprised how little,  He did talk the the anaesthetic chap who will tell you everything that can go wrong! also you’ll meet lots of staff, they’ll give you the drinks you have the day before and morning of the op. I believe you’re at Notts they also do the Enchanced Recovery program so like up and out of bet the next day. My husband was really satisfied with the treatment at Notts, couldn’t have asked for anything better and out on the 7th day. So yes get a holiday in while you can, wish we’d have done that. Good luck x

Sue Xx