Pain when sneezing after Total Gastrectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi all,

Hoping for advice if anyone has experienced anything similar post surgery.  I am seven months post total gastrectomy. All in all I have recovered relatively well, but in recent weeks it is painful to the right hand side underneath my belly button when I laugh or cough. It is now excruciating when I sneeze in the same area. I have had no prior issues with this area. Having spoken with my surgical consultant he didn't seem alarmed, but neither offered any possible reason. It does not feel like a strain and my next call will be with my GP if it does alleviate soon. Was just wondering if anyone who has underwent the same surgery has had any similar experience.

Thanks in advance

• Hi, not exactly the same for me but similar...I had a TG in Oct 2019 and several months after started getting lots of very sharp pain under my ribs on the right, and my rib cage felt almost bruised too.  I had an X-ray last summer which was clear and then I saw my surgeon in December and had a CT scan too which was clear also.  The surgeon thinks it’s down to internal scarring.

• Hi I get something very similar when I yawn as well, I had my tg in November and they said that nerve endings etc can cause pain for a long time after op and will go as quickly as it came sometimes xx hope thars some help?? Xx