Gastrectomy this month

• 12 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi, My husband has stomach cancer (Stage 2 or 3) and will be having a total gastrectomy in a few weeks. He has completed 16 weeks of FLOT chemotherapy and is 57 years old. The surgeon will also take out some lymph nodes and depending on how the lymph nodes look may also take out the Spleen. I am looking for info on how the recovery from surgery is, any tips for caregivers during and after surgery, and what life looks like after the surgery with no stomach. I have researched online but would like info from people who have gone through this. Thanks so much, Leslie

• Hi, this fantastic… you are doing so well with your recovery… onwards and upwards… keep going.

Michele 

• Hi Golfingmad

So pleased you are recovering so well, you are a week ahead of me but yes eggs, potato and fish are working well for me. Don't have a pouch so have had a little bit of dumping but not too bad.

It is very early days so will be patient. I am fairly fit too so I'm sure that has helped.

They got all the cancer out and only 1 out of 68 nodes were bad and no spread so pretty good news.

Probably will need more chemo but see my consultant on Feb 15th.

Best of luck with your recovery

Best wishes

Dean