Stage 1/2 stomach cancer diagnosis

• 11 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi all, I’m here looking for advice and guidance please. My dad, age 86, with mild COPD, and some leg vascular issues, has just been diagnosed with stage 1/2 stomach cancer. Apparently it’s small, slow growing and been caught early. The consultant advises it is located at the base of the oesophagus and the top of the stomach. However, dad has been told that although it’s small, the whole of his stomach will need to be removed, with three ‘joins’ to reconnect to his small stomach. It won’t be keyhole surgery, necessitating a cut from his chest to his navel. The surgeon says he can get my dad through the surgery, but the major hurdle will be the recovery. He has said not to underestimate the challenges he will have to face to get back to how he is now, and this could take 18 months. Has anyone here got experience of this surgery, and can anyone give any advice please?  My dad had been given the weekend to decide if he wants to go ahead with surgery, or instead have palliative chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I am concerned about how he will cope after surgery with his eating, and mobility issues. I feel confused and don’t know how to advise him. I’m looking for any insight from someone who has had this procedure to be able to give my dad the difficulties he will face and the positives of recovery. Thank you Pray tone1