Hydration during Chemotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi all, my mum was diagnosed with Advanced stage 4 stomach cancer in January 22. 

After 2 rounds of chemo they reviewed her and found that there was some shrinkage of the cancer. 

During rounds 2 and 3 my mum has struggled with hydration (due to sickness and diarrhoea) and has been admitted into hospital for the 3rd time for IV fluids and anti sickness. 

I just wanted to ask if anybody else has struggled with hydration issues during treatment and apart from trying harder with eating and drinking when possible, is there anything else that could help. We are desperate to keep her on chemotherapy treatment as results have been good!! But are also aware of the implications of not being hydrated esp as the cancer has spread to other organs.. 

Thank you to anyone who takes the time out to read this. 

• Hi

I am really sorry to hear about your mum.  I found I had to drink little and often during chemo.   But it’s really hard for your mum if she is being sick.   Have the medical team offered a change in anti sickness meds?  I found they offered me the basic one and I found others better.  It might be worth asking?

Hope she manages the treatment and good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi Jac, 

She does really try her hardest but as you have said, its easier said than done with the sickness.. she has been admitted since last Wednesday and has had anti sickness meds through an IV which has really given her the strength to get through. We've been looking at hydration sachets and drinks that might help. Would you mind sharing which ones you found and did they help? 

Thank you for responding 

• Hi

I am not sure to be honest!  I think it was Ondansetron but I think asking the doctor would be best.  I know from others on this group that everyone reacts differently and some found the basic ones very effective.

Being hospital they will be giving her IV meds and it’s good they are helping.  It really is about hanging in there to get through it!

Hope she feels better soon 

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!