Covid and Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi all,

My sister has just been diagnosed with stomach cancer. She was well, then developed what we thought was a gastroenteritis infection. The pain became unbearable and she was admitted to hospital. Scans found fluid around her stomach and an MRI detected cancer on her stomach lining and surrounding lymph nodes. She was told that this was inoperable and that she wasn't a candidate for chemo or radiotherapy. This all has happened in the space of a week and we're all devastated. This coupled with the fact that she is in hospital alone with no one to comfort her due to the current covid situation. She hasn't even had biopsy results yet so we don't even know what stage or type the cancer is as of yet. I find it hard to believe that they can tell that she will be palliative at this stage but haven't yet detected type or origin, but this might just be the state of mind we all have at the moment.

I'm really writing this to ask if anyone has had any similar diagnosis in the current climate? I work in healthcare and know that diagnosis and treatment of certain conditions have been dialed back due to the current pressures, but don't know what impact this has had on what possible treatment she could have had?! Although the hospital have given her amazing care, they haven't been forthcoming with providing her any answers. The biopsy result D-day is looming and I don't want my sister to succumb to this disease without knowing that we have done all we can save her. Also, if anyone has any advice on dealing/living with this diagnosis, it would be gratefully received.

Thanks for reading.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that your sister has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer. It must be a very worrying time for the whole family and it's no wonder you're devastated.

You haven't said when your sister's appointment is for her to receive the results of her biopsy, but that is the point when usually they will provide the answers she's looking for. 

You say that you work in healthcare so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know. When the results of the biopsy, and any tests they have run are known, there will be a meeting of the MDT (multi-disciplinary team) to decide what is the best treatment for your sister. This treatment plan will then be discussed with her. Your sister might like to take a look at this information on making treatment decisions before her appointment. 

As I haven't had this type of cancer I can't answer your questions about treatment and living with stomach cancer but if you click on the links I've created you can read information produced by Macmillan. 

I've had a look through the posts in this group and can see that  has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer and 's mother has had the same diagnosis. By tagging them they may reply to your post but you could also click on their username's and then 'recent activity' to be able to read about their experiences of treatment whilst this epidemic has been ongoing.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if you could pop something about your sister's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Do come back and let us all know how your sister gets on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I was diagnosed with stomach cancer and recovered. Please take a look at Essiac tea.

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
    There is always hope, you just need to open your eyes and heart Slight smile