Stomach cancer - obstruction near food pipe causing fluids/saliva to stay in food pipe

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

Hi

I am writing to ask if anybody has experience of a stomach cancer which has grown to obstruct the entry to stomach. The tumour is also growing around the stomach so is starting to obstruct below.

My dad has had traces of adenocarcinoma for a year but chose to delay the gastrectomy because it was stable. In the last 4 weeks the tumour has grown and spread to his liver and abdomen. He has struggled to eat and drink because there is so much fluid in his food pipe due to the obstruction at the top of the stomach.  

The query I have is whether the feeding tube will help relieve the constant saliva / fluid that is travelling up and sitting in his food pipe. Is there anything that can be done about that?

Has anyone come across this and is there any way to relieve this? Any advice would be appreciated.

I understand that the key is to get nutrition and liquids in my dad - but my concern is his quality of life because he cannot sleep at the moment due to this constant need to cough up excess fluids.

He is in hospital now being rehydrated. The next step will be stent or feeding tube.

I would really appreciate any help and experience of this.

Many Thanks

Asha

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that your dad has stomach cancer and I can understand that you'd want to do all you can to help.

I don't have the experience you're looking for but I noticed that your post hadn't had any responses. However, you have had a reply from one of the cancer nurses to this same question that you posted in ask a nurse. If you haven't seen it yet clicking here will take you to it.

Wishing you and your dad all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"