Getting over chemo

• 3 replies
  • 18 subscribers

I have a relative who is going on holiday on a long haul flight a month after the last chemo treatment . There will be a positive well being effect but anything to be aware of when travelling please? 

• My 1st thought is red blood cell levels as the aircraft cabin altitude will probably be around 8000ft there will less oxygen.

My advice would be to discuss with his consultant and/or specialty nurse and have a look at the numbers on his blood counts about a week before he travels and ask the medics if their is anything he should be concerned about.

I wish I could go on holiday but having had Leukemia 5 times and not been able to work for six years I could not afford a holiday or the £600 insurance for a European trip..

• Thank you for your reply. It’s the wbc that my relative has had low but thank you. 

• Has your relative discussed their planned trip? It's important that their consultant is happy for them to go if they're going against their doctors advice their holiday insurance will be void. If the doctor is okay with it I hope that they have a great time.