Leiomyosarcoma and chemo

• 4 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi , i have just had my second round doxorubicin to shrink metastatic tumours (5) in liver.  I started with retroperitaneal leiomyosarcoma.  I have a scan next week to see if any effect.  Im 52 yrs old and they just trying to give me abit more time... has anyone had success with doxorubicin please?  I have also just been diagnosed with a condition called li fraumeni syndrome, which is genetic.  Any experience from people gratefully received... thank you ... NIcky

• Hi Nicky,

My wife Janice had doxorubicin for her LMS that is secondary in her lungs. It was it anything a bit too successful in that a side effect was it caused her lung to collapse. Still the doctors managed to fix that and subsequently she tried a second chemo Gemcatabine and her humours shrunk some but perhaps more importantly seem to have gone to sleep. She has had no evidence of progression now for about 10 years and with a bit of help we got to the position of living with cancer rather than any alternative.

<<hugs>>

Steve 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for the reply..it is great news your wife is doing so well.  It gives me hope. I shall find out with a ct scan end of week how im doing but.. i feel pretty good...its so nice to hear of someone with lms doing well.  Long may it continue, and thank you once again.

Best wishes

Nicky

• Hi Nicky,

sorry I don’t have any advice about Chemotherapy, new to the forum and read your post, I had retroperitoneal leiomyosarcoma in 2020 and have just had a biopsy last week for 5 ‘things’ in my liver which have appeared on latest CT alongside a mass at the original site of the LMS, wanted to get in touch to say it’s a really odd coincidence that we both have 5 in our livers, mine are still things’ until later on this week when hopefully we have the biopsy results. 
    Helen

︎ Without rain there would never be rainbows  

• Hello Nicky and Helen, I'm still navigating my way around how this site works but just wanted to say hello to you both as a fellow person with LMS. Today I've finally managed to complete my profile so you can see my story so far if there is anything that can be useful to compare notes about. I had adjuvant chemo which was a combo of doxorubicin and dacarbazine but they had already removed the 13cm tumour so I have no experience of how it works against the actual known tumours in the body. I know the doctors advised this type of chemo as the best chance they could give me in case the cancer was still hiding somewhere in my body or to stop it coming back but they also told me there was no guarantee it would make any difference. However, I have read stories of chemo having helped with secondary LMS tumours and Steve above has kindly shared the positive news about his wife. Wishing you both all the best.