Bcc on chin

• 21 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Sorry for long post. I went to see GP beginning of October last year about I thought was a spot on my chin which just would not heal and I was getting worried. I had had it for five months before seeing him. He straightaway said he thought it was a bcc and took photos and made a referral to the dermatology clinic. I heard nothing for eight weeks so I telephoned dermatology appointments and was told that as the referral had not been marked as urgent and because of COVID-19 I would have to wait.  By this time the lesion was regularly bleeding and a scab would form, drop off, bleed and then re-scab. This continues to the present time. I eventually received a letter confirming a telephone consultation for the 12th April and asking me to send more photos, which I did. Lady consultant said pictures were definitely suggestive of a bcc and I would get an appointment for surgery in 3-4 weeks. Didn’t hear a word and rang them end of last week and was told they would send me a copy of letter sent to GP and a leaflet about bcc. Could not tell me how much longer I would have to wait for surgery. Letter received today but no leaflet. I am obviously worrying about this. I am a lady, aged 76.

• Hi

Having to wait for referrals and excision biopsies is always stressful but you did the right thing in going to see your GP in the first place.

As BCCs are usually very slow growing, rarely spread to other parts of the body and are almost never life threatening they, unfortunately, don't fall into the type of suspected cancer that can be marked as urgent by your GP. It's not uncommon to have to wait many weeks/months for surgery. However, I realise that this doesn't help your anxiety levels when you're waiting to be seen.

My husband recently had a BCC removed from his leg and this is the leaflet that he was given. Have a read through it and come back to me if you want to ask any more questions.

There are lots of people in this group who have had a BCC and who will be happy to tell you about their experiences.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you, Latchbrook, both for your reply and the leaflet. My lesion is just under half an inch long and bleeds and scabs all the time. How was your husband’s bcc removed, by surgery? Being just under my chin, I keep catching it while wearing face masks. Just wish I knew how much longer I will have to wait. Thank you, once again, for your helpful reply.

• Hi

Yes my husband's BCC was removed by surgery. It wasn't known at the time that it was a BCC but the excision biopsy removed it all with clear margins so he didn't have to go back for further surgery after he got his results.

You could ring the bookings department of the hospital and tell them that you are prepared to take a last minute appointment, if you are able to, as people are always having to cancel for various reasons.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Yes, I will give them a ring on Monday. Thank you,again, for your help. The leaflet explains a lot and answers some of my queries. 

• That's great  :)

Let me know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Yes, I will ring them on Monday and let you know. Thanks again x

• Hi Latchbrook, sorry for not replying earlier but been celebrating adopted grandson’s 12th birthday and our daughter and son-in-law’s 30th wedding anniversary. I took your advice and rang the surgery waiting list team who have placed my name on the cancellation list so it was definitely worth doing. Hope you and your husband are well x

• I hope you had a lovely time at the recent family celebrations  and that's good news that you've been placed on the cancellation list. Hopefully this will mean that you won't have too much longer to wait.

Since I last 'spoke' to you I had the first face-to-face check-up in 15 months. You can read my history with skin cancer if you click on my profile but basically I was diagnosed with melanoma nearly 5 years ago so have 3 monthly check-ups which became phone consultations during the lock downs.

Anyway the upshot of this consultation was that 2 weeks ago I had what the consultant is pretty sure is a BCC removed from my chest and a mole that she doesn't like the look of from my back. So now I'm in the waiting for results stage!

Let us know when you have a date for your surgery

x

Community Champion Badge

• I’ve obviously not got the hang of replying as this is the third time I’ve posted but they’re not showing. Long story short. I finally had my bcc removed on the 18th June, leaving me with a 2” long scar down and then under my chin. Wound stitched with dissolvable ones which are not dissolving well so I’ve resorted to removing them myself when they break through the skin.now playing the waiting fo result game.k

Hi Latchbrook.sorry to read you’re still having suspicious lesions removed and biopsied but glad the medics are keeping a close eye on you. I’m so grateful for your help and support.

• Sorry I misread your last post and thought that you were still on the waiting for cancellation list. Even better news then that you've had your excision.

I too have dissolvable stitches and I know that sometimes they take a little while to go. Now I'm passed the time to try and keep the wounds dry I make sure they have a good soaking in the shower and, in fact, one of mine that hadn't dissolved was no longer there after my shower this evening!

Looks like we'll be going through the waiting for results time together.

x

Community Champion Badge