Travel Insurance

• 4 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi everyone, this is all new so please be patient with me.

I was diagnosed last month with skin cancer on my nose, face and rear shoulder.

I was told by 2 consultants that they were not of the nasty type and didn't spread.

I have recently had the small one on my rear shoulder removed which is great, but am worried because the consutant has told me, he is busy, and the appointment would possibly be September for the removal from my nose and face.

I am worried because I have tried to get Holiday Insurance as we booked a cruise holiday for November and five Insurance brokers wouldn't insure me, and told me to get back in touch with them when I am all clear!  This could be September/October/November 2024, which is so near to our holiday. Surely this is not acceptable!

Has anyone else experienced the issue of not getting Holiday Insurance due to skin cancer?

• Hi Lucy Bear  Yes I have had two skin cancers on my face 2 years ago. All sorted now and healed. We wanted travel insurance just for a UK holiday and I had to tell them that my skin  cancers were all healed and I had been discharged from hospital. It is strange as all we were insuring was the cost of accommodation as it was a UK based holiday.  Strange isnt it

• Morning Harlyn, thank you for your reply.

Yes that was really odd regarding your situation for going on holiday in the UK.

I think all Inurers have gone OTT, if we do not fit into their form with apprpropriate tick boxes, then we are an anomaly so they either say they cannot insure us or they double/treble the quote.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the skin cancer group which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis so can I recommend that you join us over in the travel insurance group where you'll find recommendations from others who have been successful. Once you've joined look for the thread called 'recommended travel insurance', on the first page, as this is where the majority of recommendations are.

Since being diagnosed myself, I always make sure I can obtain affordable travel insurance before I book any holidays. I know that's no use to you now, but it's something to remember for future holidays.

As you'll know, travel insurers assess the risk before coming up with a price and certain holidays are deemed riskier than others. I've found that quotes for trips to American and the Caribbean or cruises are always a lot more expensive than say a trip to Europe. Also, many insurers don't want to insure anyone who's waiting for a diagnosis or treatment.

Having said all this, please do follow my link to the travel insurance group and look through the thread as you'll find lots of recommendations for insurers who will cover people with cancer. I myself have used payingtoomuch.com and goodtogoinsurance.com in the past, although I had finished treatment at the time of taking out the insurance.

As there are lots of recommendations in the thread, it's probably best to make a list before starting to contact the insurers. You may find it best to phone, as sometimes you'll get to the end of an online quote only to get a message asking you to phone them to get the results of the quote. This is usually because they want to clarify something before coming up with a figure.

I do hope you can get some reasonably priced travel insurance and have a lovely holiday.

Anne

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Ann,

Many thanks for your kind reply.  I will definitely switch to the Travel Insurance Group and see if any of the Links there, are relevant to me and our planned cruize holiday.

Lucy Bear