BCC - experience with NHS wait times?

• 44 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hello all!

I'm grateful to have found this forum and be able to connect with others going through the same process. I was diagnosed with a basal cell carcinoma on my ear a few weeks ago, which I've had now for 6 months. A week and half ago I had an appointment with a consultant at Northwick Park hospital in NW London after the original dermatologist gave their diagnosis and asked for it to be excised urgently. Up until this point everything had gone incredible quickly, I'd be contacted within a few days for appointments each time and was kept on the 2 week wait pathway. I'd receive letters with correspondence between GP and dermatologist, it would show up on my medical record in the NHS app and so on.

However after seeing this latest consultant I haven't received anything. He said that the wait time for the surgery was 4-8 weeks and the nurse said that I'd be contacted for an appointment and that I would get a MyPreOp questionnaire and gave me a piece of paper about that. Unfortunately nothing has happened since, no link for the questionnaire, no letters, no call for an appointment, nothing even showing that I visited Northwick Park in my medical record, no correspondence from this consultant to the dermatologist or GP.

What are everyone's experiences with waiting for a surgery date on the NHS? Is it normal to just wait an unknown amount of time without anything before they call you up and offer you a surgery date? It feels a bit strange after everything happening so quickly previously and the complete lack of communication is a bit worrying. I understand it's not as urgent as other cancers but still :/ I had considered going private to get it sorted out quickly but I know I wouldn't be able to comfortably afford Mohs surgery and I'm unsure if that would be offered to me on the NHS so I'm not sure what to do now. I've been in touch with the PALS team for the hospital to see if they can find out how long it will take to get a surgery date and I just have to wait to hear back.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I've had various lesions removed over the years including one basal cell carcinoma (BCC). Each time I've probably had an average wait of about 4 weeks. Usually I've had the appointment through a couple of weeks before the operation.

You haven't said how long ago you saw the surgeon who told you that the wait time is currently 4-8 weeks. If it's 2-3 weeks ago I'd phone the dermatology department to ask when you're likely to be seen. The appointments team will be able to see where you are in the queue and should be able to give you an indication of when the surgery is likely to take place.

If you're able to take a slot at pretty quick notice, then you could also ask to be put on the cancellation list which sometimes means that you get seen sooner.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much latchbrook! That's actually super helpful. I saw the consultant on the 17th June, so almost 2 weeks now. I think I'll wait until next week and then see if I can try and contact the appointments team and find out what's going on. I find it a little daunting trying to contact this hospital as they only have one main number and then a number for cancelling or rescheduling your appointment (which handles about 4 hospitals!). So I guess I'd try and go to the rescheduling number and then I should be close to the right place!

• Hi  

That sounds like an excellent plan Slight smile

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I went to see my GP about a lesion on my nose June 2022 that had been itching, bleeding since 2020. I was begrudgingly referred and told I would be seen in a few weeks. A further lesion on my forehead was diagnosed on the skin vision app as a possible cancer so went to GP's again in July. I was told 'why don't you just leave them, you have so many, I'm not even sure what they can do to help you, you are going to be disfigured' I was begrudgingly referred again. 

I saw the Dermatologist 10 November 2022 and had 3 biopsies. Results end of January 2023 -  all 3 BCC's 2 on forehead infiltrative and still awaiting Mohs surgery for them. One on the nose a superficial BCC and given immunochemical cream, now under watch and wait to see if that one comes back. 

I was originally told in January that the Mohs surgery would be in June 2023 but have been told the waiting lists have grown and now no time frame can be given, I just have to wait. 

I previously paid for private treatment for 2 BCCs in 2017, 1 on my cheek and 1 to the side of my eye misdiagnosed by my GP as eczema for over 5 years.The private referral took about 3 weeks and a further month to wait for the Mohs surgery and that was only because they had a cancellation.   

• Wow that seems incredibly slow if I'm reading that right o.O A year from referral and you still haven't been treated?? Considering the target is 62 days from visiting the GP to first treatment that's completely blown past that D: Where in the country is this? Wishing you luck :(

• So finally some movement now :) no appointment yet but I did finally get a letter with communication from the consultant to the previous dermatologist and from the dermatologist to the GP. I also finally got some stuff on my medical record. So at least I know I'm on the waiting list now :) I'll wait a little bit longer before calling the appointments team if they don't contact me and I'll try and find out if that 4-8 week wait was accurate or not! Currently on week 3.

• South Wales and yes unfortunately  you did read it correctly. Thank you for your kind words X

• Wow that honestly feels neglectful on the part of the NHS :/ I know BCCs are theoretically minor in the grand scheme of things but leaving a cancer patient waiting for over a year just seems really unacceptable to me. Have you put in a formal complaint?

• To be honest I thought that is how all patients were being treated around the UK, post covid and catch up etc. I think I'll phone the hospital to see if I'm even on the list yet as I've had no communication from them at all. Having 2 infiltrative BCC's on my forehead and needing MOHS surgery ..yes it does feel neglectful. 

I hope your appointment comes through soon and all is quickly resolved for you x

• Hi there NOW 3 or more. I am from south Wales but now living in Nottingham. I thought it may be better down  there for treatment.  Where in South Wales are you? I still have friends there,  although it wasn’t dermatology, they are getting pretty decent responses from hospital treatments they have required.  It is really bad here as I have a large 4 cm infiltrating cancer on my forehead into my scalp and I have been waiting months.  I am now trying to get it done privately, and I still can’t get a date.