SCC diagnosis today

• 7 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

I feel in complete shock to be writing this but today I received a diagnosis of SCC. I had the surgery 2.5 weeks ago and had convinced myself all would be fine. I’m 36 and have two beautiful young children. So many thoughts are going through my mind, will it come back? Will it spread? Will it make more susceptible  to other cancers? Can I ever go in the sun again? Any advice of how to get through the next few days would be so welcomed - I’m not really sure what to do with myself. 

take care,

R x 

1. Hi Rose I saw your post earlier but did not have time to respond. I hope you are holding it together ok? Unfortunately I do not have any answers but at least the surgery was carried  out by presumably a skilled and experienced surgeon and you now know what you are dealing with.Time will hopefully give you more confidence. Other people on this site may have more experience with SCC and I wish I could help you in some way. If it’s any consolation I am feeling scared and panicky today too as I had a GP appointment  and was referred to the hospital and also prescribed Efudex again for yet another lesion but it’s the referral that worries me the most. On a positive note I have found a wonderful counsellor and plan to have weekly appointments- maybe this is something that might be possible for you?  
      I wish I could give you a hug - keep in touch xx
  • Hi Rose87 Yes you wilkl get over it in time,  I had 2 bcc's removed from my face last year, both very nasty ones skin flap and skin graft surgery.  I am healed now although my scars are still there but hardly visible.  I am on holiday in Cornwall at the moment and a nervous wreck as the weather is brilliant. Sun morning until night and all I want to do is get in the shade. Factor 50 everywhere, sun hat, glasses and so scared.  Yes once you have had one skin cancer I was told you are more likely to get others. I have had 2 both very nasty and am continually looking to see if others are appearing.  Where was your scc and are you happy with how the operation has turned out.  We are here for you on this site whenever you want to talk and if you want to make me a friend we can talk privately. Never feel alone xx

• Hi Figgy, 

thanks so much for your reply. I’m feeling a bit better today, although I have found another sore on my leg that I think the dermatologist needs to see. Frowning2 sorry to hear you are feeling panicky, does the cream help? Mine was straight surgery that day which all seemed a bit like a whirlwind. ️I get terribly anxious over any medical procedure so it didn’t help! I have thought about the councilling, I think it would help xx

• Hi Harlyn,

thanks so much for your reply, my SCC was on my left lower leg, it has left quite a scar to be honest but at least it’s all out. Sorry to hear you have also been through this experience, I’ve found the whole thing pretty traumatising to be honest. How are you feeling now? I am now too shade seeking everywhere I go. Hope you’re enjoying your trip xxx 

• Hi Rose I’m glad you are feeling a bit more calm today  - when you are frightened you can imagine never being calm again ! Most of us are the same it seems. Try not to worry about your new mark on leg ( not that I’m a good example of this at all ! ) I would give it a couple of weeks and then get it checked sometimes marks get better. 

The cream seems to be working but its early days really. I am also using it on my back as well  (well my husband is)  but that mark now seems to have almost disappeared which is very odd. I am carrying on with it as as I said previously I have a dermatologist appointment in a couple of weeks and I they can have a look. 
    The anti anxiety meds are working a bit but I’m still hardly eating and anxious. I have a mum who is in her 70s who I have not confided in about all my fears as I do not want to worry her but I did tell her today and she gave me a big hug and said she would help me through it. I feel much calmer now she knows for some reason. It was probably the hug I needed! 
    Try and relax this weekend as stress is not good for us.

Hugs xx

• Hi Rose 87 I am doing ok but so paranoid about every little blemish, hate the sun with a passion. It is traumatic.  When your leg it healing massage it lots of times a day with bio oil or Nivea cream (the old fashioned one in the blue tin). Do it as hard as you can but not until the  stitches are out and it is healing.  It helped mine so much.  Here for you any time.  It has been so very hot today far too hot for me to cope with. Sat on the balcony at our holiday flat as it is out of the sun.  Lots of love and hugs 

• Hi Rose87, I am sorry to hear your news. My husband had SCC unfortunately a doctor in Ireland told him it was an age spot and suggested he grow a beard after that he did not go back to the doctor when we returned to the UK for a couple of years and it was a bit late.  He had the spot removed but it had spread to lymph nodes, and not long after he felt funny on his chest so he went straight to the hospital and it turned out to have spread to lungs and he had 5 tumours. This sounds scary but I am telling you this because even though he has stage 4 cancer he is well, most of the tumours have almost gone although we have been told it cannot be cured.  We have moved house and taken on some land which has been hard work as well as going on several holidays we have welcomed two more grandchildren.  Cancer is not necessarily the end these days and it makes you appreciate what you have. My only regret is not forcing my husband to go to the doctor earlier!

he is now on immunotherapy and has had no side affects he lives life to the full and it does not stop him doing anything.  Sure we have bad days usually when you think about it too much.  

there is so much that can be done for this now so try to stay positive. If you have any concerns go to your doctor, no one knows your body better then you so if you think something isn’t right then please get it checked.

Are you having radiotherapy? Or any other treatment? I th8nk the key to this is getting it early which sounds like you have done so hopefully you will not require any further treatment.

good luck and try not to think too much about it and enjoy your family