fast growing squamous cell carcinoma

• 10 replies
  • 33 subscribers

hi, my first post here. I have a fast growing squamous cell carcinoma on my eyebrow  which has developed over about 5 weeks.  Is it normal for them grow this fast?The nhs waiting list in my area is 6 to 8 weeks, maybe longer, so I’m thinking of going private to get it out sooner rather than later. 

I know they say it should be ok if caught early, but with it growing so fast….when is early?

Also, is it just a case of cutting it out, or do they need to “dig down”  

thanks in advance for any replies.   

• Since there is a very small chance of spread and given that it's growing so quickly I personally would want it cut out as soon as possible.  You will only know once it's cut out how wide and deep it needs to be cut.  My aggressive BCC had gone down three layers - only one left before the bone....  Can you send photos to show how quickly it has grown and ask for an urgent appointment?

• Thank you. Yes my doctor sent on photos and asked for an urgent appointment, but that could still take 8 weeks or more. So I,m going to go private to have it done sooner. 

• From my experience if you can afford go private  I have had 2 done privately as wait was too long and needed plastic surgery.  I had skin flap for one near nose and skin graft for the other near eye.  Depends how big and deep it has gone as to how they treat it, but more often than not it would be one of the two I have had. The one near my eye was very small and within 8 weeks had grown very big and I had quite an extensive skin graft,  Good Luck and here to help any time I can x

• Thank you.   The good thing is, I have a fringe that covers the ugly beggar at the moment and if there is a scar after it’s removed it won’t be noticed. 

• Thanks for your reply., I decided to go private and had my consultation today. I was in and out in 5 minutes and he told me it’s a keratoacamthoma, which should be benign,  but still needs to be cut out. 
    glad to hear it’s not a squamous cell carcinoma, although I’m still a bit worried, as they look so similar?

the reason I decided to go private, was to get it cut out quickly,  but even privately I’ll still have a 3 to 4 week wait.

now I’m wondering whether to just go on the nHS list, which I was told is 6 to 8 weeks.

• That's great news!  If it's benign you may as well have it done on the NHS unless there's other reasons not to wait.  Out of interest who was it that said it was squamous cell - the GP?  I don't think they are very good at identifying skin things.

• Thank you. I felt a bit dumped yesterday, as I thought by going private, It would be cut out next week or so. I’ve made an appointment to see my doctor to get referred back to NHS . It was the nurse practitioner who said it was a squamous cell carcinoma…I thought it was that as well. I’m thinking positive now and going to take the consultants word for it that it’s a benign keratoacamthoma…thank you.

• I agree.

My GP insisted that my basal cell was just a benign thing and nothing to worry about. 

She only referred me because I told her it had changed and become more bumpy.

I think we Have to insist on a second opinion if we're not happy with a GP saying it's nothing to worry about.

I don't think they're experts in skin lesions at all

• Hi if you can afford to have it done privately, in my experience, I would.  They told me I would be seen quickly under NHS but would then have to go on waiting list.  I only waited 2 weeks privately and that was because it was Christmas.  The care I received was second to nonek, but it is up to you.  I think whatever type they are they need dealing with as quickly as possible.  Good Luck and keep in touchl.  My were basal cell ones but very nasty I was told x

• Hi really hope you’re well and it’s sorted now.my dad had a rough patch of skin the size of a 10p one month we had a photo of it from the month after it was the size of a tennis ball as it grows into the skin and the cancer turns it black my dad waited ignored it during covid and the way we had appointments with the docs changed it was so aggressive if it wasn’t treated last November he only had til July last month so if u can get it seen any quicker please get it seen telling yourself docs seen it n they aren’t doing anything don’t always mean it’s ok to wait I know my dad wishes he had kept on about his