Hi All - Just been thinking and wondering?

• 7 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Can a benign or wart on the scalp - “turn or progress “ to a basal cell carcinoma ?? 
My GP said it was benign - 2 yrs ago - but to go back should it change ?  I have had a lot of stress recently including the very sad and sudden death of my younger brother - at 46 yrs old .Following this my “ thing” did change and started to bleed .

or was it just the GP not recognising or referring - I am not wanting to blame here at all - as I do understand - I am wondering if stress can change things ?Jx

• BCCs do change when they get larger they ulcerate - hence why they are called rodent ulcer.  I would think it was always cancerous. My GP also misdiagnosed for 4 years.  I don't think GPs are really very good at knowing what skin things are ok and which are cancerous.

• Like Phenom says I don't think gp's  take these skin cancers seriously enough.  Mine under my eye was like a scab that kept coming off and wouldn't heal.  My gp never even saw this one I asked the Consultant to take a look as thought my glasses had rubbed me.  His dermacope was inconclusive so he took biopsy and it was another bcc. xx

• Hi Phenom - no I agree they seem very blasé - but you would think if not sure refer to someone who does know - not give false reassurance .

Someone said to me that a BCC did not used to be a cancer it was called a rodent ulcer !!!! When I asked why I was not being fast tracked on a cancer pathway ie 2 weeks I was told by GP that BCC a we’re not on “fast track “ pathway.

So that was when I decided to go private - which we should not have to do - but waiting several months would have caused too much anxiety .

Not so happy with the NHS right now .

Take Care x

• HI Harlyn - I agree with you both - I have not told anyone but my partner yet - as I want the biopsy result first - but even he thinks I am worrying needlessly due to the GP and Consultants blasé comments .Having 50 stitches and a skin graft on your scalp is a big deal - even the biopsy left me shaky and upset  - not to mention the diagnosis and the fact I am now scanning my body constantly ! Thankfully others on this site are more understanding ! Take care xx

• Hi Yorkrose The bcc where I had the 50 stitches was on my face near my noser that is why I thought my glasses had rubbed me, cut right up to tear duct.  I can understand you being shaky and upset it is onlly natural.  I was very emotional after the first one, would cry for no reason.  Having the second one done was an ordeal as I knew what was coming, but my surgeon was simply The Best., I have so much respect and confidence in  him, he is just lovely. Dermatologist I saw first wasn't as nice, just looked said it was bcc and said he couldn't do a good job on it and referred me to plastic surgeon, so glad he did.  Here for you to chat to any time this site has been a godsend to me when I have been feeling low.  Sent some pics to my brother and he couldn't believe it, thought it was just a spot, cut out and a plaster put on, don't we wish it was. I am 73 too and a big ordeal for my age. Take care and remember here for you anytime x

• Hi Harlyn I've only just managed to get onto the group.

Thank you for your friend request which I will try to do.

It does help reading others experiences.

I too had a very offhand dermatologist who dismissed my basal cell as nothing to worry about. But the dermatologist and surgeon I've recently met have really been lovely. Especially in my terror at the thought of surgery to my nose 

• In fact the first dermatologist I saw over two years ago told me that at my age ( 63 at the time) I shouldn't expect to have perfect skin and that the thing on my nose was nothing to worry about.

It was a BCC all along.

It definitely knocks your confidence