Recovery after BCC excision

• 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi everyone. I had a bcc removed from my forehead yesterday and would really value hearing other people’s post-surgery experiences. I’m in pain but keeping topped up with ibuprofen. It hurts to laugh or smile because it pulls on the bandages! How long have other people found it took them to recover? How quickly did you go back to work? I guess it depends on the size of the bcc and mine was quite small. Thanks.

• Hi Becca  Glad your operation is over for you and it went ok.  I took paracetamol for about 2 days then stopped as I had no pain.  Difficult to say how long it takes to recover.  I am retired so didnt have work to worry about and wouldnt have liked to go for a few weeks as not a pretty sight and you have to be careful of infection.  Did you have skin graft or skin flap or just removed and stitched.  I had stitches removed after a week and wouldnt have liked to go back to work then, but suppose depends what your work is.  Don't rush it and take your time, as it does heal in time but you have to be patient.  Here if you need any more advice. xx

• Thanks Harlyn, that’s really helpful. I just had it removed and stitched. It’s really close to the hairline - surgeon told me to keep it dry for a week because they are dissolvable stitches, so won’t be able to wash my hair for the next week! My work is mainly office-based, lots of meetings, and can do much of it from home. Thinking about your point about infection, I think I will stay home for the next week and whether I work will depend on pain levels. I will avoid meetings - close colleagues know so don’t need to explain the bandages but I imagine it can be tiring explaining it to everyone.