BCC on nose alar Skin graft failure

• 12 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Just under 3wks ago I had a BCC removed from the Alar on my nose. A skin graft was taken from in front of my ear. Graft was stitched in place and a compression dressing stitched in place also. 
One week post surgery the consultant removed the compression dressing, re dressed and put me on anti biotics as it looked like infection was present on the edge. 
Two week post surgery and another re dressing. Infection looks to have shifted, but to continue anti biotics. Graft has taken in middle, but not on edges. 
I am due to go back to consultant on Tuesday, but I am really nervous. What happens if the graft hasn’t taken? Do they attempt it again or is it secondary healing I’ve seen on other threads?

I changed my dressing today as it was falling off and the first time I’ve seen the graft site. Looks like a huge scab 20p piece size and some pus on edge, so I assume that’s where the graft isn’t taking still. 
can anyone help with the healing stages of a graft? Is a big scab normal, what happens when this falls off? Is the graft skin beneath the scab or will it be new skin. 
I know I’ll have a scar and still not sure if the contour of my nose will recover, so any past experience would be helpful. Thank you

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've had complications after your excision and skin graft and I hope the consultant will be able to put your mind at rest tomorrow.

I haven't had this happen but over the years that I've helped out in this group I've read quite a few posts where grafts haven't taken. Responding to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list and hopefully one of these people will pop on to share their experience with you.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Do come back and let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow

Anne

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi strawberry  patch I had a bcc removed from the same place as yours with a skin flap.  I an another removed from the top of my nose right under my eye with a skin graft from the side of my face and like you had a compression dressing stitched to it.  When the dressing was removed I was horrified as there was a huge bloody scab and very red and inflamed but not infected.  I was so upset my hubby took a picture and sent it to Consultants Secrertary for him to look at.  He emailed me and said I was to vaseline it gently to get the scab off and he would see me in 2 weeks.  I did and slowly the bloody mess can off and left pink skin underneath.  When I saw Consultant he did say he thought the graft hadnt taken but it had, and in time it would smooth out and be ok.  It has done and hardly noticeable now.  The one I had skin flap done where yours is has healed well too.  I sometimes think we want instant results and it doesnt happen.  Mine are 2 years down the road now and friends say they dont notice them at all.  Good luck and here if you want to ask me anything elsexx

• Hi strawberry patch.... I had a bcc removed from my nose which was left to heal by itself... when the dressings dropped off I nearly passed out.... it was just a mess..... 6 weeks later it was a pink area and now just a white patch..... the skin has an amazing ability to heal it just takes time. Please keep in touch with your progress 

• Hi Harlyn I tried to message you privately but something went wrong..  how are you doing...  are you like me and once again not looking forward to summer?   I'm off to boots tomorrow to stock up on sun block.

• Thank you for sharing your story, it really helps. 
    my dressing has now been officially removed and I’m sporting the Nanny McPhee look with my huge scab and back in two months. Looks like I won’t need further surgery which is a relief. 
    contrary to your consultants advice, mine has said to avoid moisturising until scab drops off, but I guess they each have their own ways. 
    Everyday I’m getting more used to it and I can see how well my donor site has healed, so feeling a little more relaxed now. 
    take care xx

• Thank you. You’ve given me hope! It looks like a big stubborn scab, that might take some time to go, but hopeful it will be healing underneath. 
    take care x

• The sun came out on Sunday for the first time and the sunglasses came out, but I’m not yet prepared with hats that cover the face like baseball caps. That said I always wear a moisturiser with a 50SPF. 
    when everyone is rejoicing sunnier times it now fills me with dread, so glad I’m not alone. 

• You're definitely not alone in dreading the summer, although my consultant has tried to convince me not to be scared of the sun as I do a lot of hiking... he said cover up as much as possible. Wear sunglasses and a wide brimmed hat and factor 50.....  

• You are certaibnly not alone I hate that yellow thing in the sky now, as I was always careful before I developed these skin cancers.  Now I am paranoid about it. My Consultant also told me not to be afraid and just be sensible, cover up, Factor 50 and a hat BUT I did this before.  I use No 7 Factor 50 Facial suncream from 1st March to end of November, so I am on the regime now.  Good Luck and hope you continue to improve. xx

• Hi Harlyn 

For some reason I haven't been able to private message you..... I went to boots today and got their factor 50... they've got an offer on at the moment...... hope you're well... so here we go again the time of year we don't look forward to...

For some reason haven't been able I