Sun protection recommendations

• 11 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi

I've always been quite careful in the sun but got a BCC anyway. That means I'm going to be even more careful now! Someone told me you can get a new BCC every 5 years on average and I'm just 40 so that's potentially quite a few more.

I wonder if anyone had any good recommendations for sun protection?

I already wear factor 50, the face ones always give me spots. I've always thought its better to have spots than skin cancer but does anyone use something that doesn't irritate skin so much?

I've seen a factor 130 online- is that worth the extra cost? I'm not a sun worshipper so unlikely to out for long anyway

I never wear hats and all of the UV protection ones I've seen are really ugly- where can I get a decent hat that's also fashionable?

Has anyone found any clothes that are UV protecting but also don't make you too hot? I hate being hot.

sorry- lots of questions but I figure if anyone knows the answers it'll be you guys Slight smile

thank you

• I’ve had four bcc,s and now wear a baseball cap with a long peak, and I use the boots no 7 protect and perfect advanced sunscreen, you can get it up to factor 50, they also have one that’s tinted and you can use like foundation.

• Thanks, the tinted one sounds like a great idea. Also, I didn't think about a baseball cap. 

• Hi

Unfortunately, you are right in that if you've had any type of skin cancer you're more at risk of getting another if you don't protect your skin from the sun. This doesn't mean that you have to stop doing things you used to enjoy doing in the sun, unless that was sunbathing, but you need to change some things to protect yourself.

When I was diagnosed with melanoma I was told the following was necessary to protect myself in the sun:

1. Stay out of the sun during the strongest time of the day (11am to 3pm) between April and October inclusive in the UK and in all months of the year in any other part of the world
    2. When going outside wear long sleeved tops and trousers/skirts made from natural fibres like cotton
    3. Wear a broad brimmed hat (brim should be at least 3 inches) and sun glasses
    4. Sit in the shade and never sunbathe 
    5. Any part of your body that is not covered, ie face, neck, back of hands should have a sun protection cream of SPF 50 that is effective against both UVA and UVB rays
    6. Re-apply the sunscreen as directed on the bottle
    7. Never use sunbeds
    8. Don't use sunscreen instead of covering up

The first summer after I was diagnosed was particularly hard as I used to enjoy sitting in the sun. However, I quickly got used to the new regime and have a selection of hats to choose from when I go out. I also decided that I now needed a whole new wardrobe so went on a shopping spree. So, every cloud has a silver lining!

Perhaps I've been fortunate but I haven't had trouble finding hats that look fashionable. They don't have to be UV protected ones just make sure that the brim is at least 3 inches wide and that you can't see through the material that they're made of. Baseball caps aren't recommended because they don't give any protection to your ears or neck.

The same goes for clothing in that it doesn't have to be UV protective. Up until now I've just bought tops and trousers/skirts that are a close weave, ie you can't see through them, that are a natural fibre. However, I agree that you can get very hot if you're out in the sun wearing long sleeved tops and trousers. I have just treated myself to some long sleeved polo tops that are UV protective and claim to be breathable, so I'm hoping I won't get as hot. They are due to arrive tomorrow so I'll let you know what I think of them.

I don't know if SPF 130 is better than SPF 50 but I use the latter as that is what my consultant recommends. My favourite is SunSense and it's made in Australia but can be bought online here. I like their Daily Face, as it has a slightly tinted matt finish which gives my face a very slight colour, and then they do a choice of sunscreens suitable for the body. The lotions are light and easy to apply and don't have a strong smell either. They also do a very handy roll-on which is small enough to fit in your pocket and is great to enable you to touch up during the day.

I hope that helps a little but if you want to ask anything else please do.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Thanks Latchbrook

I hate the sun and generally avoid it anyway so not such a problem for me! My family always laugh at me because I'm covered in lotion and sat in the shade (or indoors!) I've just ordered some of the sunsense lotion to try. The roll on sounds ideal as well.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the breathable tops, numbers 2 and 3 above are the ones I need to work on so perhaps I need a whole new wardrobe too Slight smile

• I use factor 50 sunscreen made by a company called Heliocare. I have oily spot prone skin and this one doesn’t give me spots. As for hats, I find bucket style ones shade the face - high street fashion ones are fine. Peaked cap for on my bike. Solbari are an Australian company and I have sunsleeves from there that are guaranteed factor 50. Wore them cycling in France last year in temperatures over 35C without getting too hot. Have yet to find something for my legs for the summer months when on my bike that are cool. 

• thanks Julesonabike

I'll get some heliocare to try as well. 

• The new tops arrived yesterday and so far I'm very pleased with them. I bought them online from an Australian company called Solbari and they were shipped from Australia. They fit really nicely and the fabric feels light and cool on my skin. However, the real test will come in the summer when it's hot to see if I am cooler walking when wearing them.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • I use Sunsense SPF 50+ on Prescription.

I have had 5 SCCs removed over the last 10 years, i was very young when i got the first 1. Ive had all the different types of excisions over this time including plastic surgery & skin grafts

I worked outside for 20 years & had never sunbathed ever

• I also use Heliocare 360 factor 50 for face and body. Comes in various formulas. Also Wallaroo for UV hats. 

• Try Altruist factor 50, if light, easy to apply and doesn’t leave block or residue on your skin. I have got all my friends onto it too. It is available online and reasonable, think £8 for 2 100ml tubes. I have not used anything else since melanoma few years back!

i looked into clothes to but just tend to stay in shade! One other thing I do have though that occasionally comes out is a sun block umbrella…. I have to be in right frame of mind to use it but it’s great if I go to big open spaces that can be a bit daunting.

Think positive, stay positive, love life and be kind

Sarah x