GP's knowledge of pseudomyxoma peritonei

• 7 replies
  • 7 subscribers

These days in the UK one rarely sees the same GP twice. It might be another doctor at the practice,  a doctor at a linked practice or a locum who is just there for a few days.

Either way it is unlikely that they will have gone through your medical history fully before your appointment, but they will ask any relevant questions during the appointment before prescribing any medication.

Recently I have had to contact my GPs a few times for relatively minor concerns, none of them related to pseudomyxoma.

When I informed them that I am without a spleen due to pseudomyxoma peritonei and cytoreductive surgery with HIPEC there was a kind of look of bewilderment as if they had not heard of this. I could have been wrong, but that was my impression. 

When I was initially diagnosed my GP told me that I was the first patient at that practice with PMP,  and another GP I saw there said to me "I will need to look that up". I have a couple of friends who are retired GPs and during their careers only had one case each of PMP.

I know that PMP is extremely uncommon and I have never heard it mentioned or spoken about in the press or on TV when rare cancer is the topic, but do others have similar experiences of "the blank look" when visiting their GPs.

I read on another forum that Macmillan sometimes send PMP info sheets to GP practices, is that done as a matter of course, or do they have to be requested?

• Hi 

I'm not a member of this group but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list.

I wouldn't think that Macmillan send out information sheets to GP practices unless requested as there must be thousands of practices within the UK. You could print information off from the website before you go next time to give to your GP if you wanted to.

I was diagnosed with melanoma 6 years ago and that type of skin cancer is also rarely seen by GPs, so I know how you feel. You almost feel like you're having to educate the doctor at your local surgery each time you go.

Best wishes

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks for the reply, and the "bump". It would be interesting to hear from others who have had similar reactions from their GPs.

• I was diagnosed with PMP back in March 2023. Had an CRS and HIPEC in April at Basingstoke. Now having chemotherapy, as they found 3 stages of cancer from biopsies done at time of operation. Local doctors have no idea of anything to do with it. 
    Not seen anyone from my local doctors as of yet, and it’s been 16 weeks since operation. 
    It would be a good idea for Macmillian to send out information to every doctor. Then I feel we wouldn’t be left in the dark so to speak.

Hope you doing ok

• Last night (August 3rd) on Channel 5 a weekly programme called "Surgeons" about long and complicated "heroic" surgical procedures featured CRS and HIPEC on a patient with bowel cancer that had spread into the abdominal cavity.

The procedure was shown and the techniques explained. It was mentioned that there are only 3 hospitals in the UK that have the facilities for such complicated surgery. The programme was filmed in Birmingham University NHS trust.

And, yes, 2 years after my op I am doing OK, my 2 year scans and bloods were good, thanks for asking, and all the best for your recovery too.

• Thank you for your reply.

Glad all going well for you. All the best for the future, stay positive.
    I’ll have a look at that on catch up. 

thank you x

• I qas diagnosed in December '22 after the removal of my appendix.  Had CRS/HIPEC in February '23 at The Christies. 

1. I saw my GP a couple of weeks after I left hospital.  He was very pleased to see me as he had never had a patient with it before. I met with him every couple of weeks so we could chat and go through things. Unfortunately he was also retiring , so I have been referred to another practice.  The GP I'm with there has seen one other person with appendix cancer (think this is why I've been transferred to this practice as my husband is with a different one) of which put me more at ease.
  • I was diagnosed with this rare cancer a year ago and like others on this thread had CRS and HIPEC surgery at Basingstoke. My local hospital  eventually put there hands up and said they didn’t have the expertise to deal with this cancer as it was so complex but surgery was planned with them at first to remove my ovaries (which were the size of small footballs)  and ‘see what else they could find/do!’
    My research and the help from a surgeon at the local hospital eventually meant Basingstoke took my case. Thankfully!  
    I am now 8 weeks post op and back on chemo with capecitabine tablets as all the cancer could not be removed but dread to think what might have happened. 
    More info to local hospitals and surgeries is a must!