Diagnosis

• 21 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with PMP originating at the appendix. I have to have a full hysterectomy plus peritoneal scrape and part of my bowel, my appendix, my fatty flap, possibly my dream and my liver scraped. Then I have a hot chemo wash. I got my operation date yesterday. I go into Basingstoke hospital on 23rd Feb and my operation is on the 25th. I'm feeling a little apprehensive. Has anyone else had this done? Thanks

• Hi Bald51,
    I was diagnosed in 2010 and had surgery at Basingstoke in 2011. I had already had a hysterectomy in 2010. During my operation at Basingstoke, I had the Sugarbaker procedure - full cytoreductive surgery of the abdomen and HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy). I had part of my bowel, my gallbladder, spleen and omentum removed (and my bellybutton!). I also had my liver, diaphragm, stomach and bladder scraped. 
    It would be wrong if you weren't feeling a little apprehensive but the team at Basingstoke are amazing (hence the nickname Amazingstoke) and will soon make you feel at your ease. Although this forum isn't very busy, please do keep us up to date with how you're doing and ask anything that might be bothering you.

Angela 
    Pseudomyxoma peritonei survivor
    Trustee
    Pseudomyxoma Survivor

• Hi.

Thanks for your reply. They said I was having the Sugarbaker procedure. I went last week to have my outpatients appointment the team were lovely. My surgeon put a lot of my fears to rest so I know I'm in the right hands. I will try to keep you posted. It's nice to know that I have someone independent to talk  to. Thanks again.

• You're welcome. Do you mind me asking what lead to your diagnosis?

Angela 
    Trustee
    Pseudomyxoma Survivor

• No I don't mind at all. I had an ultrasound in September. They referred me to the QE in Gateshead. They found a tumour on my left ovary it was 7cm. I had general MRI & CT scans. They found another tumour on my right ovary. They did more scans & my left ovary tumour is over 20cm now. They kept finding more & asked Basingstoke for an opinion as I was confusing them , they sent for me straight away. I had more scans on just my liver. I didn't know what I had till last Wednesday when I went to Basingstoke. It's quite a lot to digest. It was a relief to find out what it was. It sounds funny to say that, but now I know after 5 months of confusion.

• Sorry Angela i forgot to say I'm Diane

• Great that the QE acted so quickly! Yes, it’s always a relief to find out, isn’t it? Having a label makes it easier for us to process and understand.

Angela 
    Trustee
    Pseudomyxoma Survivor

• It is. Realising how rare it is they made a good call.

• Hi Diane,

hope you are well. How are you after your operation? I’m newly diagnosed xx 

• Hi. I'm doing ok thanks. It's taking longer than I thought but I'll get there. How are you feeling after your diagnosis? If you want to ask anything please do. It's a scary time. Have you got a date for surgery  or are you watch & wait?  Xxx

• Glad to hear you’re recovering.

the Christie are discussing my case at their MDT in two days time. I don’t think I’ll be watch and wait as the tumour is growing, my abdomen is huge with all the mucus and I feel drained! Very anxious waiting to hear what the treatment will be! Xx