Drinks

• 7 replies
  • 168 subscribers

Hi,

I'm in the middle of 20 radiotherapy sessions.

At the start, I was advised to avoid caffeine, fizzy drinks, drinks with artificial sweeteners.

I can't drink anything with sugar in it because of my diabetes.

I suppose there is only water left?

Phil

• Hi  Phil. There are some quite passable caffeine free teas and coffees around. Also we have moved over to herbal infusion teas. If you start to suffer from hot flushes then sage tea (2 cups a day) might help. Another option is water with a dash of fruit juice but I understand this might be a problem with diabetes.

A side effect of the hormone therapy which I presume you are on is that it can upset the HbA1c level and some doctors are not aware of this.

Please feel free to ask any questions but I hope that you are coping with the radiotherapy otherwise.

• Hello  

I know your issues well. I am type 2 diabetic and t's taken almost 2 years for my G P practice to accept that Hormone therapy is playing havoc with my HBA1C, I ended up taking my patient information leaflet in to show them as I think they thought it was an excuse for a high reading.

They have now "set the bar" a little bit higher,

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks everybody. Thankfully I'm not receiving hormone therapy. I have just seven more sessions before I'm released. 

Phil

• That sounds like you are on a curative pathway with a low risk cancer which is great. You will be monitored with PSA checks when all is finished and are looking for it to get down to less than 0.1 at the nadir which might take 18 months but your first target is preferably less than 0.2 within 9 months of starting radiotherapy. 

• Hello Tattyjacket (Phil),

One of my radiologists came from Yorkshire & raved about the decaf tea bearing that name so I gave that a go & found it a great replacement for my normal caffeine hit.  I did find it needed to brew a little longer but then that's down to personal choice. 

Hope the remaining sessions go well.

Best Wishes

Brian

• how about Ginger Lemon tea , Peppermint tea. and Green tea

• Green tea does contain caffeine, albeit at a lower level than black tea and it does depend on how long it is infused for. Hubby likes the Ginger Lemon and Peppermint is my favourite.