RALP

• 5 replies
  • 166 subscribers

Declined twice at Derriford too frightened of procedure 

• Hello and welcome  . Many men prefer not to have surgery but there are just as effective alternatives. If you want any help with what your options are then it would help us to help you if you could supply a little more information like your Gleason score, TNM, PSA journey. Look forward to hearing from you.

• Good Morning Richard ( 

Another warm welcome to the Macmillan online Prostate Community from me.

I didn't have the choice of having surgery and having the old Prostate removed - to be honest I am a wimp and would have gone for Hormone Therapy/Radiotherapy anyway!! (I did end up further down the line having a TURP operation but it's nothing compared to removal!!).

As  has said in the post above, if you let us have a little bit more information we will be able to help you along. Don't worry about not having surgery - you are not the first and won't be the last!

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Have a look at the various members of our group : lots of chronological stories by clicking on their icons.  Come back with any questions.     AW

• Hi Richard ( ), having treatment can be very scary but the alternative to me sounds worse.  As  has said there are lots of alternatives.  I started my PCa journey with a real fear of needles and would do anything to avoid having an injection (including dental treatment without anaesthetic).  What I have found during my treatment is that the staff understand your concerns and act accordingly.  There are lots of guys and partners on this forum who have experienced every type of treatment and we can help you through this.  Please ask anything.  Best wishes, David

• i do understand , after all it is a major op.  But as others have said u do have other options mainly Radiotherapy which is in my mind a lot easier to tolerate.

Good luck with whatever u decide, do u have any stats by the way because if low then we may be able to reassure u further

Steve