Hi

• 7 replies
  • 165 subscribers

Not sure about this. Diagnosed with prostate cancer 15 January. Still waiting for radiotherapy to start. Hormone treatment has worked down to 0.1 PSA level but feel I should have started radiotherapy.

would love to plan a holiday but everything is on hold

• Hi Kurt and welcome 

Do u have any stats u can give us, PSA Gleeson etc,  This does help us to help u

But yes it does seem rather a long time , I would have thought 3-6 months, have u tried chasing them.

The HT is holding it back so am presuming your stats are low and could be the cause of the wait.

Hope things happen soon for you

Best wishes 

Steve

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the online Macmillan Prostate Community. I am so sorry to find you here but this is a great place for help and advice.

i agree the delay in starting Radiotherapy from diagnosis does appear to be a long time, however we are finding RT bookings are taking longer these days!  As  has said in his post, can you please add your diagnosis - original PSA, Gleason Score and TNM staging to enable us to give you a more accurate reply.

Regarding holidays, you will find Travel Insurance is much cheaper after you have completed your Radiotherapy.

I look forward to hearing from you with the figures from your biopsy/diagnosis,

Best wishes - Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks for your support. I will update my profile

Kurt

• I am going to update my profile. The hospital told me I will be "seen" in about 6 weeks. So some progress

Thanks

Kurt 

• Hello Kurt

Good news from the hospital.

To update your profile, on your home page click on the chair, top right.  then "profile", then "edit". Once you've written something, don't forget to click on "save".

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  - to ease your mind, if you’re entering radiotherapy with a PSA of 0.1, it’s very likely to lead to complete cure.     AW

• When my husband had his RT in February/March 2023, he had waited 3 months from starting HT. We have since learned that the waiting time haas increased to 6-8 months. They say this is ok because men on HT are 'safe' so priority has to be given to aggressive cancers but I would question whether they are mentally 'safe'?

Hope you hear something soon. Might I suggest you try and chase up? I do know there is a nationwide shortage of oncologists etc and high demand on their services and machines.

Good luck