Hello! PIRADS 5 and now, onwards...

• 3 replies
  • 164 subscribers

Hi, everybody!

I'm happy to have found you all :-)

I won't take up much of your time, but I did want to introduce myself.

I am a 61 year old guy, who had a very mildly raised PSA result. Despite being just over the recommended limit, my GP insisted that I saw a consultant. After a DRE, during which the consultant felt "a nodule", I had an MRI the result of which is a couple of PIRADS 5 lesions contained within the right lobe of the prostate.  So, a trans-perineal biopsy awaits on 10 September.  

It's extraordinary that I've gone from not really knowing where the prostate was, to now paying so much attention to it :-)

Adam

• Don’t read too much into PIRADS 5 from an MRI.  It just means that they have a very clear image and they think it’s prostate cancer.  However, the grade of cancer (will be deduced from biopsy) is what will inform you about what you’re dealing with.    AW

• Hello Adam ()

A warm welcome to the Macmillan online Community. You are just about to embark on a journey, the hardest part of which is waiting to find the route that you will take.

As  said above, the biopsy results are the critical part of your route planning. I wish you well on 10 September - come back and do let us know how you got on. In the interim if you do have any questions, however trivial they may be please feel free to ask.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• With a relatively low PSA I was devastated when my MRI showed a PIRADS 5. The urologist felt a nodule but the subsequent biopsy was more positive and gave me a 3-+4 Gleason score. Very treatable. I chose the surgical route and so far so good. The forum is amazing in keeping you afloat when it feels bad. Take care pal.