New here

• 13 replies
  • 166 subscribers

My step dad has recently been diagnosed with locally advanced prostate cancer. It has spread to his lymph nodes in the pelvis and a CT scan shows possible secondaries in a rib and in the bowel (but not confirmed). The oncologist has started him on hormone treatment and will re scan him in 3 months to see what’s going on with the other sites and then discuss treatment. He says there are lots of options. I’m just really struggling with it…. I can’t seem to think about anything else and I’m so worried that he’s going to die. I also find it mind blowing that he seems so well (the week before diagnosis we were on holiday!). It’s making me paranoid that there could be something wrong with other people in my life/me. I’ve tried to reach out to friends but they’ve pretty much said ‘sorry to hear that’ and then nothing…. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. Does it get easier? 

• Hi 

Sorry you’ve found your way here and to read about your step dad, you’ll find us a helpful and supportive bunch and no question is too minor to not get an answer to or just support if that’s what you need.

Everyone is different and deals with problems in life in their own unique way, prostate cancer these days is not the death sentence that it used to be and there are guys on here who have lived with it for years and live happy healthy lives, so your step dad will hopefully fall into that category of person.

A lot of how people like your stepdad or myself get through this is the attitude that they have to life, myself from my own point of view was / is that my cancer will never win, it will never beat me, I went on holiday the week before my op and I’m going on holiday again next week, I was never poorly, I didn’t have a single symptom so I had nothing to feel ill about. As I said to everyone who asked how I was, I’m not ill, I’ve just got cancer. I firmly believe a positive state of mind goes a long way, it’s more difficult for some than others, but to be surrounded by family and friends who just want what you want, is the best way to be.

Hope this helps you in at least some small way.

Best wishes to you and best of luck to your stepdad through this journey.

John

• Hi Worriedstepdaughter.

Good morning and welcome to our prostate cancer family l am sorry to meet you under these circumstances but you will find us a very helpful and supportive bunch.

Yes I was in your step dad's shoes just over a year ago now like many of us on here. Yes I was put on to Hormone Therapy (Tablets and Injections) straightaway.

My PSA numbers dropped dramatically over the next few weeks/months. This was great news as the HT puts the cancer into hibernation starving it off testosterone (it's food)

I was also fit and healthy before diagnosis and nobody would still know that I have got Cancer as I still look the same as before.

Yes it is human nature too think the worst when given any diagnosis like this but believe me it does get better as you become used to the new normal.

You will soon be receiving further info and advice from other members but if you do have any further questions please let us know???

Prostate Worrier.

• Hello again   Another warm welcome from me, this to "our" little part of the Macmillan Online Community.

As I said in my other post - I am so sorry to find you here but this Community is the place to be for help and support. It's easy to say but we have all been where you are now - believe me - the journey gets better. At this point for you it's the unknown, but the oncologist is on your step dad's case.

Prostate Cancer lives on testosterone - the Hormone Therapy will remove your step dad's testosterone and stop any further growth and spread. There are side effects to Hormone Therapy and here's the link to our guide to HT:

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/hormonal-therapy-for-prostate-cancer

Once your step dad has had a rescan and they have worked out if the little buggers have "gone walkabout" a full diagnosis and treatment plan will be given to you. At this point I will say Prostate Cancer is not the "death sentence" it was and only 2% of men with a diagnosis die from it 98% of men with a diagnosis die with it. We have men on the forum who have lived a full life with it for many years.

To help us to help you can I ask you to add some details of your step dad's journey to date to his profile (including if known his initial PSA , Gleason Score and TNM range from his biopsy). To do this on your home page go to the chair top right - click on "profile" then "edit". Once you have written something - don't forget to click on "save". You can read my profile by clicking on my name or avatar - but you don't need to write a book!

Feel free to ask anything - no subject is too trivial or taboo, and if you need any extra help or support our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) will be happy to help.

Anything else, just ask - it's OUR Community and YOU are more than welcome.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello  .

What a lovely step daughter to worry about your step dad and want to find out more. Your feelings are perfectly normal and something we have all felt when first faced with a cancer diagnosis - all we can think about is cancer and the fear of losing a loved one but we will all tell you that things do get better. From personal experience it took a few months and helped once we saw that the treatment was starting to work as shown by a drop in PSA. By starting the hormone therapy this will work very quickly on the cancer cells no matter where they are in the body. It then gives the experts the time to do all the tests and come up with a plan tailored specifically for your stepdad. If you want to try and help him then encourage him to stay as fit and active as possible - the hormone therapy can cause a range of side effects but the main one that men will notice is fatigue and loss of muscle which is best combatted with exercise.

It can be difficult for friends to understand how you are feeling if they haven't been personally touched by a cancer diagnosis but they can help by helping you to carry on as normal which is what, I am sure, your stepdad will want you to do. He will have some additional treatment within the next year to try and kill the cancer but it is too early to say what this will be. These treatments have come on in leaps and bounds during recent years and there are many more available if needed in the future, plus what are currently under development so the long term prognosis is good for most men diagnosed with prostate cancer.

There has been a discussion recently on the forum where our relatives diagnosis has made us more conscious of our own health so you are not alone in worrying about this but I hope it makes you look after yourself as well both physically and mentally. If you are really struggling then there is help available and we can point you in the direction of where to get it.

Ask any questions no matter how small or silly you might think them and we will try and help.

• Hi  the others have said it all but I will repeat my story.  Similar diagnosis to your stepdad 7 years ago.  Put on HT and then given RT and chemo.  Life has been good for years and PCa isn’t a big issue for us now.  You are a great stepdaughter for showing such concern and I hope your stepfather appreciates your support. Try not to worry, as others have said once the HT is being given, there is no panic to rush for the next stages. Please come back with any questions.  David

• Hi Worriedstepdaughter,  It's good to see you again and  on the prostate forum and you've met some of the guys and have been given some wonderful advice and support. Keeping fit and being positive is so important as everyone will tell you and a positive attitude  boosts your immune system too and, don't forget you both have a life to  live and please remember to look after yourself as well. We are on holiday, our 5th this month, in Wales with my youngest, daughter in law, mines fab too, and the kids celebrating their pregnancy and the two newest members of the family who are due in January, and yes it does get easier.  my best wishes to you both 

Eddie 

• Hi John apologies but not quite used to this site and after reading your reply to Worried stepdaughter I hit the flagged and not the heart , and I don’t know how to change it , sincere apologies ,

• No worries Gena, thanks for letting me know 

• Hello  

It's no problem, the post by  is still here. Once you hit the "flag to moderator" button you then have to confirm your action - I don't think you did so the post is still here.

We have taken up the space between the "React" and "Flag" buttons with the site developers and it's hoped they will do something about it at the next update.

Many thanks for your continued support.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks for the reassurance and apologies once again ,