Diagnosed yesterday

• 11 replies
  • 166 subscribers

I was diagnosed yesterday and my Gleason score was 3+4- I have opted for hormone therapy and then radiotherapy after I've spoken to an oncologist in 4 weeks.I am feeling quite overwhelmed as it's good news but bad news if you get me.

I'm not really sure how I should be feeling but Shrug

• Hello Thedoc. Oh, I so remember  those feelings of being overwhelmed!! From what you have written, am I correct in assuming that the cancer is contained within or very near the prostate with no spread around your body? If so, this is the better side of 'bad news' as it would seem that the treatment you have been offered is 'with the intention to cure'. Gleason 3+4 is also on the better side of the 'bad news'. It means that the cancer is not so aggressive and not such a high risk as the higher numbers people achieve. 

My advice to you is to get as much information as possible about side effects of the proposed treatment pathway and how long you might need to take hormone therapy etc. www.prostatecanceruk.org is a good place to start for the information. Being well-informed means that you will get some sense of control in what initially seems an out-of-control experience. It also means that you can ask questions and get answers at your appointments. 

Just to add... We have no experience of or connection with Space Oar - the gel that can be inserted through the perineum and between the bowel and prostate to protect the bowel from any harm from the radiotherapy. It is not currently available on the NHS. I wanted my husband to pay privately for it but he didn't want an extra procedure. If it is of interest to you, I would recommend a bit of research on this so you can ask about it at your oncology appointment. When we looked into it, the cost was about £4k locally. I am now told that it is more like £7k - so something that needs careful thought!!! 

I hope all goes well on your journey. I am sure others will respond to you and give you lots more info, support and encouragement!

• HI Thedoc

I'm the same as you, though I found mine by accident when they went looking for something else and found this instead 3+4 stage 2c. I was offered the same therapy as you and the radical prostatectomy operation which I chose.  That said, I read everything that there was to read on this and I flip flopped between camps before I chose the operation route around a fortnight later. At 3+4 there is no need for an urgent decision on the treatment route but a fully informed one is the decision that comes without regrets later on. (I'm in for my op on the 5th July).

If I were you I'd look at all options thoroughly and what comes with the options, the changes that you may go through and what you'll have to put up with with either. So please, take some time to read up and make a decision, if you want to change it or keep the one you have made, at least the medical team will fit in around you and you will be more comfortable with your choice.

If you want to hear my reasons for choosing the op, just drop me a reply and I'll come back to you

All the best

John

• Hello  

Another warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Prostate Community - I am so sorry to find you here.

A cancer diagnosis comes as a shock - however once you have a full diagnosis and have started on a treatment path life will settle down. As you say you have opted for HT & RT I have attached links to our guides to both treatments

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/hormonal-therapy-for-prostate-cancer

and

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/radiotherapy-for-prostate-cancer

As this is all new to you we are all happy to answer any questions you may have - however trivial.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello  .

I can remember the day my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer and understand that it can feel overwhelming to start with. There are many things which can influence the course of treatment recommended to you so if you want to hear from those who have gone through a particular treatment it would help if you put a few more details on your profile such as age, initial PSA, Gleason, TNM, number plus size of lesions and how close to the capsule edge. Ultimately it will probably be your choice and one which you have to be happy with. Radiotherapy can be very successful and there are different types but not all may be offered if they are not available in your area, however, if you have a preferred type then you might be able to travel to get it.

Please ask as many questions as you like and you are bound to get an answer from someone who has been there, done that and worn the T-shirt.

• To add details to your profile (You can read a Community Member's profile by clicking on their name or avatar).

* Go to the chair - top right on your home page.

* Click on "Profile" then "Edit".

* Once you have written something don't forget to click on "save".

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi TheDoc24, it's just over 3 years since I was diagnosed with T2 Gleason 3+4.  I had to go for the Hormone and Radiotherapy treatments as I wasn't suitable for surgery.

Now 37 months later I am 2 years into Remission.  I remember being totally overwhelmed at first, not knowing what would happen...

The friends I have made here in the Prostate Cancer Forum have helped immensely.  Whenever I wanted an answer to something, there was always someone who had been through it and could help.

Don't read too much about the possible side effects as not everyone gets them.

The fatigue was the worst but it doesn't last forever.  Hot flushes were different, and I kind of miss them now (it did take over a year for the hormones to get out of my system).

I don't regret anything at all, in fact I have come out the other side a better person.

Please let us know how you get on as there are loads of us willing you on!

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi Thedoc24.

Good morning it's great to meet you today but I am very sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer!!!

Yes I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last June 2023 PSA off 1000+.

I was told that the Cancer had unfortunately escaped from my Prostate!!!!

I was put on to HT straight away and within weeks my PSA plummeted and it now stands at 0.9.

So please please don't worry or feel to overwhelmed we have got many members who have/are in the same boat as you and they will be able to offer you some much needed help and support.

Prostate Worrier.

• Hi The Doc24

my husband was diagnosed with Gleason score 3+4 so very similar. I heavily rely on this wonderful group . They are quick to give you the support as you need it . Keep us informed of your progress  Best wishes Liz 

• HI Liz,

Hope everything goes well for your husband.  As long as you can just be there for him.  Take care of yourself as well, we can't forget how this affects you!

Steve (SteveCam)

• Thank you Steve . We’re having a bit of a time getting answers . Diagnosed in March  and still not seen a consultant . Was offered surgery or RT/HT. then told over the phone a week later  HT only as doubtful RT  due to where the lymph nodes were problematic . It appears the surgeon THINKS there are lymph nodes involved and cancelled consultation.  How can anyone say THINK ? When we called the cancer hub the nurse listened then said  give me a minute to I check . She told us nothing  on his file saying  he can’t have RT and still a surgical appt in place . So we feel we are getting the run around right now . It depends on where you stay but we are in central Scotland. . So it’s kinda watch this space x