Mental Ups and Downs

• 7 replies
  • 165 subscribers

Good evening.

I'm new here - only made a couple of posts.

My journey can be found in my profile, but I will summarise it by saying Gleason 9, out of the prostate into 1 lymph node. Bone Scan is clear, and CT scan confirms MRI image - "only" one lymph node. Started on hormone therapy; Bicalutamide for 28 days, first Zoladex injection 21/06. That will show you how new I am. I understand this to be high risk locally advanced.

That's the background, and I am not really asking about that.

I am 71 and so, as many here do, come of the generation where cancer = death.

The process has affected me like a series of repeated shocks. When I got my appointment through to see the Oncologist this afternoon, just the appointment made me feel sick. Other times I am significantly more upbeat and nearly normal.

From looking at the discussions I can see that many of you have had this blasted illness for a long time and are still going.

I am going to assume that this happens to other people, and that, eventually a new normal reasserts itself, and you transition to being able to cope, with only minor panics. 

What are other people's experiences?

Does this eventually become another thing that you have to deal with that does not give you continuous anxiety (I know there must be some anxiety)?

If that happens, how soon did people find themselves accepting where they were.

Steve

• Hi   interesting post.  I recognise all those anxieties that you describe as you navigate repeated shocks (check out my bio). You do, indeed, come to terms with prostate cancer (especially as “most” are slow growing and able to be monitored/ cured / treated).  As testament, I’ve just completed my fifth hike in Bavaria (roughly the equivalent of a Ben Nevis per day) and I feel strong and fit. There is light at the end of the tunnel for most prostate cancer sufferers.  Of course, there are many brilliant brothers and sisters on this site who are dealing with “treatable” rather than “curable” prostate cancer.  But let’s face it, none of us are getting out of this earth alive.  
    Oh, and with Gleason 9 and one node, you might wish to explore brachytherapy boost (again, check my bio).  I’m sure others on this site will be along shortly….

AW

• Steve ( ), you are experiencing what all of us have been through and the start is very hard to get your head around.  In my experience I gradually accepted having PCa and it probably took a few months to realise that I wasn’t going to die immediately.  I was diagnosed in the Spring and was convinced that I wouldn’t make the Christmas!  That was 7 years ago and I am still going.  I now know that there are loads of treatments available and more coming on stream so hopefully the docs can keep me going.  I can’t remember when the ‘new normal’ started in my mind but was probably after RT.  Try and stay in a positive frame of mind.  Any help you need, just ask.  Best wishes, David

• Just read your bio.  You’re on HT.  stops the cancer in its tracks.  You’re heading for RT - no rush, as HT needs to shrink cancer / weaken it first.  Oncologist appointment booked. Don’t beat yourself up about 2023, because your PSA has risen very gradually (and now it will plummet). Because of the lymph node, you’re probably headed for whole pelvis RT (I had this, but at a lower dose because I also had brachytherapy internal seeds). Check the links in my bio.  If you want to go BBoost, you may need to travel to another hospital for the brachytherapy, but you could then return to your local for the LINAC RT.     AW

• Hello Steve (  

I am a Gleason 9 with Lymph Node involvement (we think) and am a T3N0M0 - I am 30 months into Hormone therapy and I have had my Radiotherapy in early 2023. You know what - I have been through every side effect and every emotion possible. You can read my journey by clicking on my avatar.

Three things have got me here apart from my medical team, the support from my wife who has supported me all along, the amazing members of this Community who have been here for me in my times of need (we all have them) and a positive attitude.

There is help available for you - but you need to reach out for it - here's a few ideas:

* Do you have a "Maggie's" near you. this is a cancer support charity where you can drop in for help, advice and a chat. To find your nearest - 0300 123 1801 or https://www.maggies.org/

* Anxiety UK - This is an amazing support service to help you overcome anxiety - 0344 477 5774 or www.anxietyuk.org.uk

* Macmillan offer free counselling to cancer patients if this would help - again here's the link https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/get-help/emotional-help/bupa-counselling-and-emotional-well-being-support

* Would a "Telephone Buddy" help - someone to call you once a week to chat things over - again here's the link https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/get-help/emotional-help/macmillan-buddies

* There's also our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week). If you feel in need of some extra support - just give them a ring - they are a fantastic team.

Steve - we are all in this together and "together we are stronger". We are a Community and are here for one another - we all have that same bond - Prostate Cancer and we all wish to be here as long as possible.

I hope the above helps  - you are not alone. if i can do anything else for you please give me a shout.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you. 

I will look at those links with a great deal of interest. 

Most of my life i have been in top of things and now I am sort of flailing about.

I will get a grip on this and then hope to be some help to others the way you have been to me.

• I will get a grip on this and then hope to be some help to others the way you have been to me.

Cracking Statement - Very Positive - Good to Read.

Kind Regards - Brian Thumbsup

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• I will get a grip on this and then hope to be some help to others the way you have been to me.

That’s the spirit…. And that has been EXACTLY what I have sought to do for our community.  You have turned a corner with that statement!   AW