Results

• 8 replies
  • 157 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer 4 years ago, he was then put on active surveillance... unfortunately, his last MRI scan showed it had grown, so he had another biopsy may 7 th, we have received an appointment at the Manchester Royal Infirmary for the 4th June . They have booked him a 20 mins appointment, has anyone else had this?.. we are a bit anxious as he was diagnosed with stage 3 base of tongue cancer last year, and after gruelly treatment he is now in remission, so, apologies if this post seems a little silly 

Thank you

C

• Hi Worrypants1

Good afternoon and a very warm welcome to our prostate cancer family. Sorry to meet you under these circumstances but it's still great to meet you anyway.

I am so sorry to read that your husbands Prostate has continued to grow after 4yrs of A/S. Mind you it is very very good that it's been picked up early in hindsight.

I'm very sorry to hear that your husband has also had tongue cancer but it is good to see that he has had treatment and that he is in remission.

Yes hopefully you will receive some information from other members of the team who will have been through what you are currently experiencing.

In the meantime please please let me know if there is anything that I can help/support you with????

Prostate Worrier.

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the online Prostate Community - I am so sorry to find you here.

The 4th June sounds about right to discuss your husband's biopsy results so I would say, both go - have a list of questions and if it's grown in 4 years you now need to know - his Gleason score, his PSA and TNM staging from the biopsy. It would also be handy to ask where in the prostate the cancer is and how near the gland edge is it?

Below please find a link to Prostate Cancer UK's "How Prostate Cancer is Diagnosed".

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/how-prostate-cancer-is-diagnosed

i hope this helps. If you need anything else just give me a shout.

(as an aside I am under The Christie at Oldham and the care and treatment is amazing!!).

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you Prostate Warrior.....it just feels a bit overwhelming after last year, 5 days a week for 6 weeks which only finished in Jan this year...lots of worry and stress, now this ..just gets too much sometimes.

Thank you again Heart

• Thank you Million for all you'd useful info...we both feel exhausted by everything cancer atm....I thought we had seen the last of The Christie Manchester ( however lovely they were)....at his biopsy app a few weeks ago, the consultant said, it could well be you will be back at the Christie for surgery and treatment, so, try and prepare yourselves...I think I just needed a moan...

Thankyou again

Heart

1. Ps..sorry Million..predictive text! Face palm tone1
  • Hi Worrypants1

Thank you very much for your reply yes it can be quite overwhelming but you have come to the right place for help/support.

Yes it is very stressful and worrying but you have to try to be as positive as you can which is something that I draw from that really helps me come to terms with the whole situation.

Please please come back to me if I can help when things get tough????

Prostate Worrier.

• Hi WP1, the main thing to keep uppermost in your mind is that your hubby has been on Active Surveillance. This means that you have caught this cancer super early, and cure rates will be close to 100%. There is no rush to make a decision- after all, you’ve known for 4 years already- and The Christie has a brilliant reputation. Maybe you can avoid another bout of radiation and this can be treated by focal therapy or mono brachytherapy. If you read my bio, it will give you some idea of the lack of side effects that I had from brachytherapy.  Don’t be put off by the rest: I had an aggressive locally advanced cancer.  Hope this helps.  AW

• Hello  

Just to add to that cracking post from  - don't forget not all hospitals offer brachytherapy - although you can receive it in the Manchester area - so you may have to be gently persuasive and ask about it. Consultants tend to push for their speciality - not always the treatment plan you want.

Feel free to ask anything - however trivial - we are here for you.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.