• 2 replies
  • 161 subscribers

I’m 84 and Started on bicalutamate mid April, then bone scan.

Blood test for psa and implant injection 7 May.

Just had appointment with consultant urologist for results of bone scan. Unfortunately aggressive and spread to majority of bones. result of psa 923!!

told to continue with 3 monthly injections but stop bicalutamate after this first course. 

Now waiting for appointment with oncologist to discuss chemo.

any advice greatly received - good or bad  

• Hello  .

Welcome to the family, although you would rather not have to be here. Sorry that you have had been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer but don't despair, there are plenty of treatments nowadays to keep it under control. The Bicalutamide will have started by blocking the testosterone from feeding the cancer. The injection carries on the job by stopping your body from actually producing testosterone. There are other tablets which you might be put on and these, along with the Chemotherapy work well. There is now a whole battery of treatments for the oncologists to use and plenty more at the trial stage. I have been on this journey with my husband for almost 4 years and he is still going strong even though he also has advanced metastatic prostate cancer. I have attached an information sheet for you but if you have any questions, or just need support then please come back to us.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/just-diagnosed/advanced-prostate-cancer

• Hello   Another warm welcome to our little Community. I am so sorry to read of your diagnosis.

My good friend  has put up a great summary in her post above and there is little I can add to that - apart from we are all here for you.

Try and keep as fit as possible and you will do OK - ask any questions of us and you are sure to receive answers, however trivial.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.