My Husbands Prostate Cancer (Part 2)

• 9 replies
  • 157 subscribers

Hi everyone, well George had his scan results this morning, and after his prostate surgery  it has appeared in his pelvic area, the rest of his body is clear, so he starts his injections tomorrow and will have them every 3 months, he will also see on oncologist in two weeks and they will take it from there, we are both exhausted now but at least we now know and please God the treatment will be successful, would love to hear from anyone out there who has walked this road and how they coped.

Also thank you for all the positive feedback and also some hilarious one's which I got caught up in first time around,

Linda (Hibbie)

• Hi Linda,

This is really good news! You earn a good rest now.

I cannot comment on post surgery because my husband cancer was too spread to take a surgery. I wish you both well and I am sure you will have members here sharing their experience on similar route.

Lots of love

Dafna

• Hello  

I can't really comment as I am still the proud owner of the old Prostate (apart from the bits donated for the biopsy and TURP operation) however this is how I see it:

Well that's great news that it's only in the Pelvic area. I am assuming that George has now started on Hormone therapy Injections, these will put a stop to any future spread and stop anything that's escaped in it's tracks. The meeting with the oncologist will be to chat about radiotherapy to the pelvic area to kill off what's left. So to me that looks very positive.

As for the humour - well that's our way of venting - cancer is such a serious issue sometimes that bit of "light relief" can make all the difference between a Community member being very worried and taking the edge off that worry. The "instigators" are the usual crew some who are already on a journey that isn't a "curative pathway". I do hope you (and other Community members) find it helps.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian thank you for your post, yes the consultant said it is only in his pelvic area, bones are clear, he starts his injections tomorrow and hope we won't we waiting to long to see oncologist, we are both relieved that we now know what we are up against, George is very positive about everything so fingers crossed all goes well for him

Linda

• Thank you Dafna, at last we now know what's ahead, it has been a very stressful 2 weeks wait, he starts his jags tomorrow and hopefully we won't have a long wait to see the oncologist, will keep you up to date on how things progress, I wish you and hubby well, take care, Linda

• Hi Linda.

I know the feeling when you are told that you need more treatment after you had thought that all had been done and dusted. My husband has just been treated for his third recurrence in distant mets, but then he is on a treatable rather than a curative pathway. Having to have salvage treatment after a prostatectomy is fairly common and has a high success rate. My husband did not have a prostatectomy but did have EBRT to the prostate and pelvic lymph nodes 4 years ago. He saw his urologist today who confirmed that it was completely successful. How do you cope? For me it is by finding out what to expect, also getting involved in the forum and taking each day as it comes but determined to enjoy ourselves. We treat each day as a bonus and can honestly say that it has brought us closer together as a couple. Life settles down into a new routine punctuated by blood tests and scans, with the knowledge that there are still more tools in the toolbox to treat the cancer if another recurrence occurs. A wicked sense of humour has also helped, as does the support of friends.

• Hi thank you for your positive post, yes I feel more relaxed now that I know what's happening, it was a shock for us to discover that the op was not a success, the last 3 years have been such a struggle for us, I have been struggling to come to terms with everything, but some days are better than others,  I am trying to be positive and hopefully will start to calm down. I'm the one who worries and he is laid back maybe some of it will run off on me, will let you know how things go

Linda

• The operation has got all the cancer from the prostate gland (as it was removed to the pathology department), so now the radiotherapy will clear up the pelvic area. In a way, that is not too dissimilar to my pathway (except brachytherapy did the job with the prostate gland rather than removal by surgery). The thing to keep in mind is that George is still on a curative pathway (as they can’t find any evidence of cancer in his bones or outside the pelvic area). So, you’re in good hands and put all your trust in our wonderful experts in the NHS. I’m writing this to you before I get in the shower this morning, prior to taking 14 people out hiking in Menorca, as my normal life has returned, thanks to my own team of experts in the NHS. 
    Oh, and as for the amusement on this site, well, as I’ve said before - “it’s better to laugh in the face of the devil rather than crouch down in fear”.   AW

• Thank you for your reply, I am slowly starting to calm down and relax,  yes phenomenon very good hands with our wonderful NHS.  Enjoy your home in Menorca, wish I was there in the sun, but thank you again, linda