Found out Monday love some positive advice

• 43 replies
  • 162 subscribers

Hi everyone I’ve found out on Monday I have prostate cancer My Gleason is 6 and I’ve been put on Active Surveillance My dad also had it and is still alive at 85 and is still under surveillance I guess any advice or comments might help My head has been a bit all over place and I thought the best people to talk to are ones with experience 

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the online Community - although I am sure there are other places you would rather be!!

It's great to know your dad is still with us at 85 and even with Prostate Cancer that's a great age. As for yourself with a Gleason 6 AS (Active Surveillance) is fine - at lest you are being "watched" and if the Cancer decides to make a move your team will be ready to act.

I don't know if you have a copy of the AS publication from Prostate Cancer UK but here's the link-

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/active-surveillance

I hope this helps.

It's OUR community and YOU are more than welcome - please feel free to ask any questions, however trivial or join in any of the conversations.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Prestonbloke

Good afternoon and welcome to our prostate family mind you it is not something to celebrate but anyway it's great to meet you today.

Yes you have come to the right place for both help and advice/support.

Active surveillance is a very good way to proceed if the PSA numbers are fairly low & by the looks of things you're farther is doing very well with his at the age of 85.

Unfortunately mine was metastasis and I had a n initial PSA number of 1000+ but luckily I had a good response to the Hormone Therapy (tablets and injections) as my PSA number is now 0.9.

You will soon be hearing from more members who will be able to offer you more help and advice.

1. Prostate Worrier.
  • Thank you for your reply I’ve been doing some research and a 6 Gleason although not ideal isn’t the end of the world Anyone out there who was diagnosed a 6 a while ago and their journey would be great to read about 

• Thank you for your reply I will be a regular visitor hearing from people who have been through this is vital 

• Hello  

I am sure some Community members with a Gleason 6 will be responding to you (I wish mine was a 6 and not a 9!!Rofl)

To aid your research here's the Prostate Cancer UK link to "How Prostate Cancer is Diagnosed"-

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/how-prostate-cancer-is-diagnosed

Anything else, just give me a shout.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi PB

I was Gleeson 6, on AS for 4 years before Radiotherapy.

U don't give a PSA figure so going to assume lowish.

Just make sure you keep monitoring PSA and a yearly MRI to monitor it carefully.

Good luck

Steve 

• Hi  Prestonbloke.

I was diagnosed a Gleason 7 with a 4.7 PSA in 2020 and put on AS before HT /RT started in October 2022

You can read my journey by clicking on the picture of my cat 

Good to hear your dad is doing well and good luck on your journey.

Any questions you may have, please don't hesitate to ask, someone here will respond to you.

Best wishes 

Peter 

• Hi Prestonbloke, my husband had been having annual PSAs for several years due to the high incidence of prostate and breast cancer in the family. By 2022 his PSA had reached 10 and they decided they needed to go further and see what the score was. So, he wasn't on the active surveillance routine that people have now but he was being monitored. In 2022 his PSA was 10. He proceeded to MRI, then biopsy and then bone scan and was declared T3a NO M0, Gleason 4+3=7. They were not sure whether the tumour had passed through the prostate wall or was just bulging. They decided to treat as if it had gone through. He decided to go down the radiotherapy and hormone therapy route with, as they said, 'the intention to cure'. He was tired during the radiotherapy - mostly, I think, because of the travelling. He has four d the side effects of the HT tough at some times and less bothersome at others. Today, after 18 months, they have said he needs no more HT - unless there are signs of recurrence. 

Like you, we were in a state of shock when given the diagnosis. However, our emotions eventually settled and we have been trying to get on with enjoying life as much as health issues permit! We take a lot of comfort from the fact that treatments have improved so much and that there are a whole host of drugs etc out there and, potentially, more coming down the line, to help save men from an untimely death.

I hope your cancer remains very stable and extremely slow growing. Best of luck!

• Hi my base line PSA is 4 and my plan is a PSA every 3 months and biopsy every 12 to 18 months I’ll check out your journey 

• Hi PB

Just to let u know that I didn't want multiple biopsies.

So I went with PSA every three months and MRI yearly

I figured that the MRI and PSA combined would tell me of any tumour growth and biopsy really only confirms cancer and aggressiveness

Just my thinking , doesn't mean its right

Steve