New, hi and mri

• 9 replies
  • 157 subscribers

Hi, new to the site so thanks in advance. My husband has been told he has a " suspicious area on his mri " and is to have a biopsy.a copy letter arrived in the post and the mri results are stated in a way that has me worried as seems more serious but I may be worrying unnecessarily. Can anyone help, it says PI RADS 5 lesion left mid central, PIRADS 3 left mid and PIRADS 3 left superior. To me this is 3 suspicious areas not 1 and when I typed it into Google its not great reading . He is 49.

• Hi Marie and welcome

P I RADS 5 means very likely cancer , PI RADS 3 possible but not def so that could be the reason why they say a suspicious area.

Is there any sizing in terms  of mm.

Do u have any PSA figures .  Before starting treatment I had 3 tumours and am still here so wouldn't  be too concerned at this stage.

I presume that nothing is showing outside the gland or possibly they may  want to do further scans.

I know it is a shock initially but if the biopsy confirms cancer then a treatment path will start and it is  potentially still curable

best wishes

Steve

• Thanks Steve, no sizes of the three lesions, psa was 7.8  down to 4.6. PSAd of 0.1 and no EPE. I think I expected this to be honest,  my husband is more positive  but maybe being an ostrich and burying his head in the sand

• Hello   A warm welcome to the online Prostate Cancer Community - I did see your original post in "New to the Community" and it's great to see you have taken Mike's (The Highlander's) advice.

PIRADS 5 on an MRI scan means  - "it's very likely that you have Prostate Cancer" - the biopsy will tell you how aggressive the cancer is and should lead you to a diagnosis. Let me say at the outset to reassure you:

* 98% of men with Prostate cancer die WITH it not OF it,

* There are many treatments for this cancer and although it is cancer it's a very much treatable one.

I would advise you staying away from Dr Google however tempting it is. For advice and help stick with trusted sources and this Community, there are plenty of wives/partners here and we have all been where you are now.

I have attached a link to a cracking booklet from Prostate Cancer UK "How Prostate Cancer is Diagnosed" -

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/how-prostate-cancer-is-diagnosed

Feel free to ask any questions you may have however trivial - you will get answers.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Ok Marie, so no EPA that's good, 

PSA  gone down from 7.8 to 4.6 , bit unusual as it normally goes up.

what does PSAd 0.1 mean 

Steve

• It possibly means PSA density. If the value is below 1.3 it is usually indicative of BHP rather than prostate cancer. Let's hope this is the case.

• Ok, thanks for the info, a plus sign thenThumbsup

• Hi Marie.

Welcome. You are naturally worried at the thought that your husband may have prostate cancer and waiting for tests and results is the worst time as the mind runs riot and always jumps to the worst possible scenario. Your husband's Initial PSA has prompted the biopsy, as would the second PSA based on his age but there are other reasons for these levels such as BHP or an infection. Also sex or vigorous exercise within 48/72 hours of the test can increase it. Your husband's age is in his favour. There is no Extra Prostatic Extension - no spread. The PSA density is 1.1 which is not indicative of prostate cancer, the cut off level is normally above 1.3. Statistically about 25%of men with a PSA between 4 and 10 have prostate cancer. I have attached a review which indicates that around 50% of men with PIRADS 5 have prostate cancer confirmed at biopsy but for men with your husband's stats it is lower. I know it is pointless to say don't worry but I hope this information eases your mind a little.

Please come back with any questions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10488368/

• Thank you,  much appreciated 

• I got my decimal points in the wrong place for PSA density. Your husband's is 0.1 and the cut off is 0.13, so still good.