New kid on the block

• 7 replies
  • 156 subscribers

Morning, sitting here with a weekend off from Radiotherapy (11/20), really struggling with the water loading before therapy! I thought the biopsy was the hard bit, (character building or what)  but I sit there day after day watching my fellow patients doing the walk of shame from the treatment room to the water fountain. Seems like when you get it right, you repeat the following day and it will just not play ball. After a couple of cycles (2 cups wait 30 minutes) the drive home is stopping in every farm gateway.

That said, I will miss seeing the people.

All the best everybody

Chewwy

• Hello   A warm welcome to the online Prostate Community, although I am so sorry to find you here.

Radiotherapy for me was a doddle, 20 fractions in January 2023, however on the forum I am the "odd man out". My Radiotherapy was ae The Christie in Oldham and we worked on empty bowel - empty bladder. The theory there was the empty bladder relaxed and you could target the prostate - everyone else with a full bladder is where it's lifter off the prostate to give the target!!

You are half way there, 2 weeks and you will be in the wilderness - no travelling, no appointments for a while - it's a strange time.

I hope the next two weeks go well - feel free to post on any thread, we are a decent bunch and are happy to answer any questions.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Chewy

Good afternoon it's great to meet you today I do hope that you are having a good Saturday??

It's good to see that you have got the weekend off but I am sorry to hear that you are really struggling.

I am currently just on HT only for my P, Cancer  which has drastically reduced my PSA numbers.

Yes you can get used to the routine of the treatment which sounds very strange.

I do hope that the rest of your treatment goes well for you???

Prostate Worrier.

• Hi Chewy and welcome, Oh what fun we had at radiotherapy, not, i too struggled i think i ended up having 32 scans with 12 in the first week trying to find a way that worked which we did on session 7, I ended up only drinking filtered tap water at home and voiding as hard as i could so 45 mins after drinking 4 cups of water was manageable, "only 3 cups was required at radiotherapy" and took my own water to hospital, only once in last 13 sessions did i need 2 goes, take care.

Eddie

• Hi  , you are halfway, so doing well.  After a disaster of a planning session, I got into an amazing routine and had 37 sessions and wasn’t bounced once.  Luckily I can drink water fairly easily but I generally overloaded from the amount the hospital suggested and that seemed to work.  The problem was peeing afterwards but travel home was only 20 mins, so normally worked out.  On one journey home there was a bad smash on the M3 and I got caught in the tailback.  How I didn’t burst my bladder I don’t know, but after that, I took to carrying a 4pint plastic milk bottle in the car.  Good luck with the last 2 weeks.  David

• Thanks for the support, the remaining treatments went OK, apart from number 19, had to stop the treatment a third of the way through as I was bursting, my dismount from the couch was ugly, (and it was higher than expected) low marks for technical merit and artistic impression. I was handed a bottle as I hit ground, so it must happen regularly.

So a week on and things settling down, ringing the bell was an emotional workout, surprising how dusty those hospitals are!!

All the best

Nige

• Hello Nige ()

Thanks for the update - at least you are like most of us - a sense of humour - you need one to go through what we do.

As I said in my original post empty bladder - empty bowel at Oldham - no need for the walk of shame or any acrobatics!!

I rang the bell after fraction 20 and was a blubbering wreck in the chair in reception - it's the hormones but I just couldn't stop crying. Now I know why there's a box of tissues on the table near the bell!!

Take care and I wish you well on the rest of your journey - you know where we are if you want to pop by with any further updates.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• I remember only too well that bursting feeling during my treatments & then the mad (but careful) dash to the nearest toilet after each session.  I now have this vision in my head of the radiologists holding up their scoring cards to vote on your sudden dismount Smile

Best wishes 

Brian