Pace Nodes Trial

• 44 replies
  • 158 subscribers

Good evening. New ‘member’ here.

Brief background:

Diagnosed with localised PC last July. Gleason 4+4. 2 years HT + radiotherapy which started last week. I opted to enrol on to the Pace Trial & hence complete my radiotherapy in a couple of days.

In a strange way I find myself as worried ( possibly more so ) about the likely side effects over the next few weeks & months as I am about the actual Cancer diagnosis.

Wonder if anyone who is on this trial can share any experiences re side effects - severity, timing etc. ( I have a stricture - residue from Holep surgery 5 years ago - which means I am currently self catheterising twice weekly )

Apologies if this has been covered previously but I couldn’t locate anything.

• Thanks Roy - good to hear that you’re ’on the mend’.

As you say I’m 6 days behind you - completed my radiotherapy on Wednesday. Bladder not too troublesome Fingers crossed except for the need to go a little more urgently than usual. Unfortunately my bowels aren’t good - toilet visits 4 or 5 times a day, mainly diarrhoea with some red stuff & tenesmus. Since I’m still only on day 4 post RT this will hopefully settle down Fingers crossed.

HT not too bad - fatigue kicks in daily ( I coping quite well though ) but having difficulty sleeping.

Will soldier on & hopefully in the next few days I’ll be in a similar position to yourself.

David

• Glad you are faring well. Your toilet visits? My Tue and Wed bout you can put a one in front of the 4 and 5.Joy JoyJoy We all progress at different speeds. Hope yours goes well.

Happy Easter by the way.

Roy

• How are you getting on David? 

Roy

• Hi Roy

Thank you so much for asking. Not much change. My bladder (Fingers crossed) still behaving itself - just need to get my bowel under control ( still suffering from tenesmus & the claret is still present on my regular loo visits ). My GP tells me that this is within the scope of prostate RT & that it may take a few weeks to settle down ( oh joy ).

HT flushes & fatigue but other than that I’m good. Looking forward to things settling down & buggering off for a few days in the Sun.

How are you progressing? Hopefully still a few days ahead of me in your recovery.

Regs

David

• Glad you're feeling a little better. I am the other way round. Guts about 90% there and no blood. Urine still stings for the first couple of goes in the morning but after that seem to be in the 90% realm as well. I take a mild anti depressant that had a side effect of helping me go off to sleep as well as combating the depression from the HT jab. Toying with going onto the tablets. Not sure  which side effects I prefer. Will let you know my decision. Out walking most days for an hour or two just don't pass a loo without checking in.

Take care of yourself.

Roy

• Forgot to mention a couple of things. Did you by any chance develope Tinnitus from the jab? Secondly once the anti depressants kicked in and I was sleeping pretty well my hot flushes virtually disappeared. Could be coincidence I don't know.

• I suffer from tinnitus from time to time anyway but not noticed any difference.

Intrigued by your anti depressants - particularly as I’m not sleeping wel ( though I’m on a course of Sertraline & unlikely to be given additional medication ).

What do you mean by ‘going on to the tablets’ - care to expand?

Sorry for all the questions.

D

• That's okay, questions are part of what we are here for. When I started my treatment was on a tablet for two weeks and a week into them the first jab was administered.  They were 50mg. Looking to replace jab with these but at 150mg. Different side effects so a couple of weeks to make my mind up. When I find the name of the drug I will post. Dig it out over the weekend.

We are all different with different consultants so treatment varies of course and P Cancer at different stages. Doesn't stop us having more info though.

Roy

• Hi all my bother as stage 4 cancer, it's in hip  prostrate and bladder, he's having Chemo its 50% that could work, I. Been doing loads Research on other Methods to help Cure him, can any one help out have come cross methods that will help stage 4 thanks 

• Thanks again Roy.

Once my diagnosis was confirmed I was given a 28 day course of Bicalutamide 50mg tablets followed immediately by a 24 months course of hormone injections ( Decapeptyl 11.25mg - every 3 months ). My RT sessions were scheduled between my 3rd & 4th injections. Assumed ( naively ) that this was standard procedure - only after reading various posts on here did I fully understand that it’s most certainly not ‘one size fits all’. 
    Assume when you talk of replacement you are being offered tablets to replace the hormone injections.

I’m sure you’ll make the right decision for you.

David