Hello

• 29 replies
  • 159 subscribers

I am back again Rolling eyes I saw my gp this afternoon, he has arranged for  a nurse to come to our house on Thursday to take bloods from my husband mervyn who has prostrate / bone cancer and bleeding gums and not well a.t:m . He said he will come and see mervyn at home on Friday if results are back, if not he will come Monday, as for me he just said I am plain worn out. He is going to arrange added help from st Margaret’s  (am I allowed to mention them on this forum )but like everyone else they too are short staffed.
I am a bit worried that mervyn seems to be going downhill , but can’t do anything but sit back and watch him. I hate it. !!! 

• Hi Crafter.

I left a message on your other post , so I won't repeat it. It'sabout Vitamin C and protein. Also sending you a big hug !

Best wishes L x

• Hello Brenda.

Thanks for coming back. It sounds as if you have a supportive GP and hopefully the blood test will give you some pointers as to what is going on. It is tiring both physically and mentally looking after someone who has cancer, we have to take on extra jobs to cover for things that our loved ones can no longer do, but also be a support for them through their treatment. At times it can be exhausting and you have your own health issues so I am pleased that you are being offered extra support. Very often friends are willing to help, if asked, but don't want to appear pushy or want to offend you by offering, so why not reach out and ask them to help with an odd meal, help in the garden, getting shopping, sitting with Mervyn- anything to give you a little break.

Barry W made a good suggestion on the other thread about Vitamin C and protein. Orange juice is a good suggestion but to reduce the acidity in it add a little pinch of soda.

Please let us know how things go on.

• Hi  .

I know you are busy looing after Mervyn and it's hard enough to get time for yourself.

If you have that little bit of quality time to yourself - even quarter of an hour - please give our helpline a ring on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week). I know they have the resources to help you but you do need to make contact first.

Don't worry about naming your hospital/GP's that's fine.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello Brian, thank you for  reassuring post, I am 78 and not much good on chromebook I am using now, so forgive me if I have posted in wrong place  etc I am not really sure what I am doing on here. Blusherv has eaten scrambled eggs today, mouth still bleeding, I will be glad when nurse comes to see him tomorrow. My knee op is booked for April 4th, I had pre op on Monday, they phoned me this a.m to Blushy I am anemic and to start iron tablets, which is fine, but then they rang again at lunchtime to say I have to have another blood test 2days before op, just in case . It’s a pain, as I don’t drive aBlush obs Merv not driving now, so I have to ask someone to take me to Taunton for a 10 min blood test, it’s not far from me about half hour away, but I don’t like asking people i have always been the onBlushthat does for others and I find it hard to ask for myself. My son/daughter are very good but they are at work, I will sort it but hate it !!  Apparently my sore throat I have had for two months is dBlush to anxiety/stress, I had trouble believing that, but it’s true Blush

• Hello   The online Community is for anyone with or affected by cancer - it's also to chat about anything - not just cancer - so don't worry - you are most welcome here.

At least Merv is eating and now has nurse visit tomorrow so that's progress.

I am aware that in Somerset there are transport services to help you get to hospital for your appointments - the number is 01278 747444  (8.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday). They will either be able to help you with transport or advise you of services provided by the Community.

Don't forget our helpline too !! It's a free call - give them a ring !!

I know when you are used to being independent and you need help - it's hard to ask - but the services are there - I am a mere boy at 68 but I have found out the hard way - if you don't ask - you don't get..

Keep us posted - Kind regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Crafter1938, hi again.  By your own admission, you have always been the one to help others and now is the time for you to ask for help.  You need to focus on yourself in order to be of help to Merv.  Best wishes. David

• Hello Crafter,

So glad your appointment with the GP has gone well & that you have a nurse coming out tomorrow to see Merv.

I see that you are the one that has always been on hand to help others out & that is brilliant, but don't be worried about asking for help yourself from family & friends.  People are only too glad to help out & if it takes even a little bit of pressure off you then so much the better.  Think of it as looking after yourself will help you look after Merv.

Take care,

Brian  

• What a week it has been, we now have a dentist appointment, the day before I go in hospital for my op which is on April 4th. .Merv has had a terrible week with catarrhal he has really struggled with it, urging so much he now has brown stuff .  Dr came yesterday, his chest is o.k , throat looks very dark, they have given him carbocisteine see if that helps and a spray for his very dry throat. He gets very upset when can’t shift it and is very low in himself now. He really seems to have gone backwards since his second injection in feb. There has also been a family “heated discussion “  as our daughter who is 45, works in hospital , is not medical but  knows more than she should, she was my prop, my go to, my helper and adviser but it has all become too much for her and her brother let me know that in no uncertain terms, so now I feel I have no one to lean on, online is good but I need a face to look at. 
    merv, went to bed when all this was going on, he sleeps a lot, doesn’t want food, he is so sad iand I am lost., I,m tired , I,m frightened of having my knee replacement on the 4th. 
    can I also ask if anyone has used the mcmillian will service? We made a do it yourself one a few years ago, but things have changed now, I read they want you to donate a percentage of your estate ? We do not have much , so shall I get another d.I.y will?  also, what happens when I am on crutches for 6weeks, can I get help then ? So much to think about !!! 

• Hello Brenda.

I am so sorry that things have gone backwards for you and Merv. I cannot help with care services in the UK but have tagged  to see if he knows of what Macmillan can offer.

Macmillan do offer a free will writing service for simple wills and, whilst there is no obligation, they do request a bequest of some kind. Here is the link.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/donate/gifts-in-wills/free-will-service

• Hi Crafter

Oh my heart really goes out to you, I wish you were near enough to meet up. I don't suppose you live anywhere near Rutland. I am not sure what you mean about your daughter and son. Are they saying they no longer want to support you? If so, that is so unfair, but sometimes it is hard for our grown up children to help us when they have their own busy lives to deal with.

I do try not to burden my girls with things, but I do have a couple of good friends I tend talk to when things get bad. If a phone call would help, then I think you can "connect" with me and we could exchange numbers. 

Whether you want to talk or just post on this forum, you know we are all here for you, so please don't despair. You need to be strong for Merv, but you also need to look after yourself and your mental health is as important as your physical. Sometimes just writing things down can be a cathartic experience, even if all you do is delete it and not post here.

Thinking of you

Best regards

Gina