Decision to make

• 76 replies
  • 166 subscribers

Hello all,

New to this.

Recently diagnosed PCa. PSA 8, stageT3a N0, Gleason 7 - 3+4. Recent CT scan shows no spread. Have seen consultant urologist and consultant oncologist in the last week. I have to make a choice between radical prostatectomy or HT/RT. The information I have been given has been very thorough with both consultants being very positive about the potential outcomes but clearly with their own clinical bias.

I would just like to know how people on here reached their decision as both seem to carry a similar level of success with associated side effects. However, other side effects and, potentially longer lasting side effects, seem to be apparent between the two treatment types.

Any thoughts, experiences etc would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

• Hi Trom57a and welcome to the forum, as i was unable to have surgery i went down the HT  RT route, but there are many guys and their partners on here who did have that choice and will be happy to share their thoughts and experiences with you, Your stats are very encouraging and you are right to highlight side effects, you are very lucky to get through treatment without any, best of luck with whatever your choice is, take care.

Eddie

• Thanks so much Eddie. Really appreciate you getting back. I've been reading posts on this site for some time, since I was diagnosed, and it seems to me that there is a wealth of information and experience from men and women who have been, and are currently going through it all. At last I've decided to take the leap and get involved. About time 

• Hi trom i don't know anyone who has regretted joining this forum, but well done in doing so, and early as well, As my stats are so different to yours i am not the guy to base your decisions on, but i know your stats are shared by many other on here, i would say there are a few variations of RT worth looking at.

Eddie

• Good Morning   A warm welcome to the Online Prostate Community. There have been quite a few "stalkers" come out of the woodwork this week.

You are faced with a difficult choice and as I always say make a list of the "pros and cons" as you see it for each option how it affects you. Ask questions of those who have "been there - done that" - and then decide.

I am 2 years down the HT/RT route as I wasn't given a choice (possible spread). However it was decided it hadn't gone "walkabout" but if I had the choice I would have gone down the HT/RT route anyway.

In over 2 years I have had other issues - i started off with CKD and needed a TURP - hence 10 months with an indwelling catheter - but I now feel great - you can read my journey by clicking on my avatar. If you have any questions feel free to ask - I have no regrets.

Good luck making your choice.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello Trom. It’s good to ‘meet’ you although I’m sorry that it has been a diagnosis of prostate cancer that has brought you here. The treatment root seems to very much depend on age, whether or not there are secondaries elsewhere, overall fitness and personal choice. If you are younger, have no secondaries or other health complications then surgery is an option. I would suggest getting as much info possible about the side effects of surgery v hormone therapy and radiation. Www.prostatecancer.uk  is a useful starting place! For our own part, my husband knew straight away that he did not want surgery. The radiotherapy was tiring but uneventful. The hormone therapy has been harder to tolerate and lasts much longer. No incontinence problems, though!

• Hi   and congratulations on coming out of hiding!

As Brian has said, you need to make a list of pros and cons before you make your decision. Although, IMHO, there aren't many pros just small cons and big cons!

I was diagnosed in 2018 with T3A N0 M0, Gleason 9 and a PSA of 11 (risen to 15 by the time treatment started). With the help of my son, who is a hospital consultant, we made a list and I chose to go down the HT/RT route. A couple of main reasons, firstly I do a lot of coastal rowing and I was advised that I could have "stress incontinence" after surgery which would be a bit unpleasant. Secondly, it would mean moving to a different hospital much further away.

I had my last hormone injection in June 2021 and my PSA has been stable at 0.2 for over two years now so I'm currently in remission.

Whichever route you take exercise is very important to keep fit. I'm now 76 and walk at least 30 miles every week, swim a mile twice a week and still go coastal rowing as often as the wind and tides allow.

Good luck with your choice of treatment and keep in touch with us.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Trom, I was T2, Gleason 3+4, but I wasn't suitable for surgery so I opted for HT/RT. 

I don't regret it for a moment, even though I had problems with fatigue & still have ED, (HT was October 2021.

Oncologist was optimistic from the start, PSA next Friday, hopefully celebrating 2 years in remission).

What does the Oncologist recommend?

I don't know what choice I would have made if I had it.

Do what Brian Millibob suggested:

make a list of the "pros and cons" as you see it for each option

Lots of great first hand experiences for you to mull over.  With everyone being different, not everyone experiences side effects.

Please let us know what path you decide.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Thanks so much for getting back to me. I am really appreciative of the responses I've had so far. People's experiences are definitely giving me confidence with the choice I am more than likely to take....that being HT/RT.

My oncology appointment yesterday was very positive with every aspect of treatment explained thoroughly. She did paint some alarming pictures of after effects but I guess they have to lay out the "worst possible" scenarios.

I would be interested to know how many HT injections people had before the start of their RT. I was told by my wonderful oncologist that HT injections are given 3 monthly after RT but she also said something about 3 months of HT prior to RT starting. Can anyone give more clear advice as to my issue?

Thanks in anticipation 

• Hello   Thanks for your reply.

HT injections are given monthly, 3 monthly or 6 monthly depending on circumstances.

The HT starts to work right away in supressing testosterone which is the food for the Prostate Cancer. Once that's done it's work the RT (Radiotherapy) is used to finally kill off the cancer cells.RT is usually 3-6 months after HT is commenced.

There are side effects to HT - we don't all get them all and some people suffer more than others. The key to the HT/RT route is to keep as fit as possible as fatigue will be lurking somewhere along your journey.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks for this. So, having be told that I would be on HT for 3 months before RT starts, does that mean that I would have just one injection? Please forgive me if I've misunderstood