Recently diagnosed, feeling scared.

• 9 replies
  • 152 subscribers

Feeling scared and dull ache in stomach area. Just wondered if anyone else has the same symptoms. Gleason score 4-3. I am going for a CT scan on Saturday. But really thinking the way I feel right now it is going to be too late to save me

• Hi Arnie,it is scary shit your going through ,been there when first diagnosed in November ,my psa was 9.4 t4 aggressive cancer going into rectum  it changes your life completely ,Loads of People will say be positive ,what does that mean  ? its not a cure, be optimistic  and have faith in the experts ,the treatment they offer nowadays is amazing .I,ve been through all the scans ,hormone therapy , radio therepy and now going through chemo therepy, My PSA is down to 0.1 and I may not need the final session of chemo ,fingers crossed Mate take each step at a time don,t look too far into the future ,I wish you all the best   

• Thank you Willis422 for your reply it means a lot to me. It is scary just now. This is the worst I have been so far. It is the not knowing what’s happening inside your body and will the doctors get it in time before it spreads elsewhere. This has certainly changed my life and nothing seems good anymore. I hope I can come out the other end of this and message other people who has similar symptoms.

• you will know more after the CT scan Arnie, if its confined to prostate its a bonus ,if its spread not as good ,however I know at least 3 men that have prostate cancer that had spread to bones and their cancer has been maintained for many years . My consutant says that normally men pass on with prostate cancer they dont die from it . If in the future you need to talk ,i,m here 

• Thank you Willis422 you comment’s have made me feel more positive.

• Hi Arnie 

You are at the worst point now, psychologically,  waiting for all the tests to be conducted and reported back to you. Its the fear of the unknown and the C word.

When I was told approx 3 years ago, I went numb and didn't hear another word from the consultant after the C word. I can still see my walk across the carpark in my head now - doubt if it will ever go.

It's a massive shock to us all and we all react differently.

On a more positive note, your Gleason score is not that high - mine was 18 and there are others on here much higher than that, so take comfort in that.

Have they put you on HT yet or are they waiting for all the scan results? If so that will stop any spread.

When you get the results let us know.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Arnie

What is your PSA, You must have had a MRI, what did that show.

As others have said it is scary at the beginning but it does get better.

If u can give us more info we may be able to reassure you further.

Gleeson 4+3 is not that bad which is a good start

Steve

• Hi Steve

PSA was 50 MRI scan was a pirad5 with 2 lesions one being deeper than the other. I was also mentioned that there were rare cancers present don’t know what they are called as I was in shock when being told this at the time. Gleason 4-3 . If the tightness in my stomach and the lower back pain can be managed better I think I would not be scared. I think it is the unknown that what is happening inside your body while waiting on the CT scan this Saturday. Cancer has more likely spread and the Gleeson score probably has risen too. I know I am in a list of others going through similar and I just have to wait my turn for treatment if any.

thank you for your post Steve.

• Hi Stuart

thank you very much for your support, it does help. You are correct it is the waiting that is the worst part not knowing if you are still going to be here for your family. No treatment as yet so I will just have to wait my turn. I will let you know when results are back after the CT scan on Saturday.It does change the way i see life now and it is a frightening time for all of us.

Arnie

• Hi Arnie sorry to see you on this site, but honestly mate, the wait is always the darkest bit worried bad thoughts ect.

I have incurable advanced matast prostate cancer and I had the same feelings you are experiencing, after my first meeting with the oncologist life looks a whole lot better.

If you will take a couple of tips, first take someone with you to all meetings, get copies of the letters sent to you and read the profile of the site members, the icon by our names.

All the best Ulls