This forum is my saviour

• 6 replies
  • 154 subscribers

Ido all my thinking crying and deliberating in the early hours when the house is quiet and I know each case is different and people are on different paths but knowing that a stranger you may never meet feels your pain and can so empathy is amazing as you know my husband is 47 and we know his out look isn’t good what annoys me is that given the amount of younger men who are diagnosed and this is on the rise it should be mandatory from 40 to be tested like mammograms smears it could save so many lives I have started to plan a huge event to raise awareness and hopefully get men to go and ask as this is not a disease for the elderly and it needs to be highlighted men have symptoms like a bad back here and there and think it’s nothing just done to much at work today we need more men to ask there gp for the 30 second examination thankyou all for your emails of advice and support they mean more than you could ever know xxx Maria

• I agree that there should be more education about the early symptoms, and also that GPs should be quicker to do the 'five minute test' that could lead to much earlier investigation.

There is talk of new tests being developed that could allow for a proper screening programme - as I'm sure you know, the PSA test is horribly unreliable as a diagnostic test, and the rate of false positives could mean some younger men facing 30 years of needless anxiety.

Prostate cancer is the biggest men's cancer, now that smoking is going down. Treatments have progressed and we're promised more. Diagnostic tests and scans have progressed, and we're promised more ... But the pace of change could and should be faster.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi,

The problem today is the lack of time you spend with your GP. I’ve been on Atorvastatin for 10 years now to reduce my cholesterol. Every year I have to have a blood test to check the levels. It’s just one extra drop of blood to take to check for other issues. In 2019 a member of my family was diagnosed with under active thyroid issues but I had to ask for a separate appointment to discuss this as there rule was one appointment one issue. I’m sure we all can remember that every time you went to the GP they took your blood pressure, that is because they got paid for it.
    My PC was only picked up because I spoke to a different doctor & happened to mention nightly toilet visits. I know that doctors & nurses work extremely hard & I often ask to see the practice nurse as they are extremely knowledgeable & can prescribe prescriptions if necessary. I also speak to my local pharmacist Emily regularly as she is also a wealth of knowledge.

The point I’m trying to make is by talking to someone they may pick up things that we think are normal purely because we’ve got used to it.

• You're right too. But there just aren't enough GPs, and they're firefighting. The reason they keep to one issue per session is so that you don't overrun and keep 32 other people waiting!

My PCa was picked up on a chance comment too, so we both know they're listening!

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi Maria

This has been highlighted a number of times, even on the television a few shows making people aware of PC, I myself knew nothing about it my father died of cancer, brother of heart attack, I used to go for many tests blood and X-rays, but no one picked up that I had PC, it was not until I moved and the doctors give a examination for new patients that it was found, which was to late. So although it’s men who need the simple test, it’s doctors who need to brush up on doing these tests, not waiting till it’s to late.

Its great that your doing an awareness thing, I’ve thought the same thing, but I have to many other things going on to try and accomplish this, but I wish you all the best in your endeavour. Finally your like my wife, at first she cried a lot, then cried when I was in bed or not there, I know I try to treat every day as best I can, holidays are a thing of the past, last time I had a kidney stone when staying at Shrewsbury for two days, sent for an ambulance at two in the morning, they said it was a four hour wait this was four years ago. Some how by train we came back to where we live Salford and straight away went to hospital, there I stayed for five days, so we’re very wary of short trips.

Stay safe

Joe

• Mine was picked up at 50, I was getting regular blood test and asked for psa,  already spread to bones, an earlier check could have picked it up when it could be cured rather than managed.   If I hadn’t had those regular blood tests then it would only have been discovered when things were really bad

• flora pro activ works but you must ask whether it is good or bad cholesterol?  as there are 2 types

graham