Travel insurance

• 2 replies
  • 152 subscribers

I am travelling to Europe and have advanced prostate cancer.  I am 80 and i am unable to find cover at a reasonable price.  If necessary, i am prepared to exclude cober for the cancer.  Does anyone have any suggestions

• Hi Spectator,

There is a travel insurance group. https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/travel-insurance-forum

I would look at that and try some companies from their list.

I got travel insurance recently through Staysure. Wasn’t cheap but I’m covered for all eventualities. 
    Best wishes,

Ido4

• It's worth shopping around online, to get an idea of what's out there - I also went with Staysure in the end, after Nationwide scrapped their amazing scheme.

Many companies have an online form that will give an automatic quote.

With advanced PCa or active treatment, you will end up needing to phone for a final quote, but don't take the first one you get - just tell them you'll think about it. Just because you have cancer doesn't mean you're spared the hard sell, I'm afraid!

Because we're talking about serious money, I sent the same email to 14 companies I found, asking for a quote.

Some didn't reply, some clearly didn't have a clue, so I was down to 8 websites to look at: two just said 'phone', effectively, and 6 had almost identical forms - almost is the key here, I reckon!

All in all, a few hours work, but it ended up being a very good investment of my time.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.