Recent Diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 151 subscribers

Hi,

I have just had my first hormone injection after a week on Bicalutamide. Next week I have appointments with surgical and radiotherapy consultants at Christies. My diagnosis was Gleason 7 (4+3). The cancerous cells are all contained in the prostrate gland so far. I'm fairly sure surgery will be ruled out due to previous operations in that area - a long history with other cancers - so will probably end up with radiotherapy and continuing hormone treatment. I think that beam therapy and the implant seed therapy are the options on the radiotherapy side.

I've had chemo and radiotherapy before but never hormone. That was a long time ago now so will catch up with other people's experience on here before going to consultations next week. Be nice to have any feedback from people in same or similar position. At present, tiredness is the only significant change - lot's more of it that is, lol - but don't suppose the full effects of the hormone treatment will kick in for another week or so.

• Hiya mate.

I kept a journal.       Five weeks from my prostap injection,  lack of libido kicked in,  six weeks and flushes started,   two months after radiotherapy finished, toilet 1 and 2 was easier, and libido seems to have returned.   Flushes still in force.  Another month and flushes have eased off.    I only put on a few pounds, up and down, but have a bit of a 'tummy' I've never had before. 

I have had it easy, I do appreciate that.     Best of luck. This is a great place for help and information.   

• Hi Soundflyer.

Bicalutamide is notorious for inducing tiredness and you should only be on it for a month so that might ease up when you finish the course. HT can also induce tiredness but I found it was not so bad as the Bicalutamide.

There are lots of treatments for the hot flushes Cyproterone being the one most used. Be warned that both Prostap and Cyproterone an cause your HbA1c to rise and can cause a drift into Type 2 Diabetes over a sustained period. Your GP will probably not be aware f this so you should read the Patient Information Leaflet for both drugs and let you GP know what they say. I was on Prostap for three years and Cyproterone for slightly less time and was diagnosed with Type 2 in August this year. Neither my GP nor the diabetic clinic nurse were aware of the connection with the cancer treatments.

I also took Evening Primrose Oil and Sage Leaf capsules which helped a lot with the hot flushes.

Good luck with your treatment.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to JoJoGunne

Thanks, gives me a base timeline to work to and from. I've kept a detailed journal for 20 years but it hadn't occurred to me to put this sort of stuff in, so I'll pinch that idea as well. The tummy is a bit of a worry but the threat will encourage me to get back on my walking routine. Thanks for replying and good luck back at you, hope it gets no worse.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Seamus47

Thank you for the heads up on diabetes, it runs in the family so will read up and pay attention to that one. Also for the herbal remedies info which I prefer to pharma tablets of any kind - I'll be trying to come off meds asap, got a bit of a phobia over the years. Good luck to you too, take care, and thanks again.