Hello

• 28 replies
  • 160 subscribers

I was diagnosed with advanced incurable prostate cancer two and half years ago at the age of 51. I’m now at a point where they is not treatment options left. I’m struggling to talk about it, and I’m just reaching out to others on here to talk about it. 

• Hi Steve

No point in being angry, at people who do not understand. Having a partner always helps, my wife is always by my side, but bares the weight a lot more than I do, stress is not the word I want to use, but it plays very heavily on her. Hopefully your partner will not stress as much.

stay strong stay safe

Joe

• Joe,

I know that I would be lost without having Tracey, my partner by my side.  I think I rely on her too much, and I have been trying to be there for her when she needed.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi corriander,  I’m 49 and have recently started my incurable cancer journey.  

Are you able to give any details about the treatment you have had so far,  there may well be someone on here that can offer suggestions.   How did your prostate cancer manifest initially?  (I started with PSA 40,  Gleason 4+5 ,  T4N1M1. Mets to non pelvic lymph nodes and the cancer has burst out of the prostate into my pelvic wall ) 

• Hi Corriander

I can fully empathies with your emotions.

I was diagnosed over 3 years ago and the shock of it all was hard to take in. I have been through chemo, hormone treatment, injections and, most recently, Abiraterone, and have also reached an impasse where my PSA levels are going in the wrong direction. Talking about it is a nightmare as It makes both me and my wife very upset .Sometimes, it is better to remain silent. I'm fine talking with the hospital staff as I find it all a bit surreal as if I'm talking about a third party! My tip is to keep as busy as possible which helps to keep your mind away from all those negative thoughts. I always find the mornings the worst as I wake up thinking I'm going to be better, as with most illnesses.

Have a chat with your consultant as there are new drugs coming onto the market and, whilst they will not provide a cure, can provide a bit more breathing space.

• Hi Mr Smith

I can help with some of the things you’ve asked about, as I’ve been there done that, still fighting. I was detected over five years ago, I was put on a stampede trial, which today is a normal attack which was reducing my PSA from 893 with hormone tablets, once it was low enough, after various scans and tests, I had six rounds of chemotherapy, then a two month break to recover followed by twenty sessions of radiotherapy over four weeks.

ive had various things happen not all cancer related, like it’s in my bones various places, to help build up a bit of strength I take Alca-D given by the doctor, I also take supplements one being Pomi-t all these you can look up on the net. The chemotherapy is a or was for me a devil the first two times then got slowly used to it, although still not great, radiotherapy only one bad day while on it but they say it can affect you months or even years later. With me it was stomach problems which have cleared up now.

So choosing the way you want to go is a decision just take your time, PC is slow to grow but that does not mean to sit back.

Stay safe

Joe

• Coriander, Andy,

I feel that work for me is like therapy.  It's an admin job and the concentration on this definitely keeps me from thinking about my condition.  I am getting stressed a lot more at work now and my memory and concentration are all over the place.

The posts in this forum help a lot. I never thought in a million years I would enjoy posting on here.  But then again I never thought that I would get Prostate Cancer.  My eyes are well and truly opened.

The countdown has started to my Radiation sessions, two weeks today.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Thanks Joe.   I’m having my first chemo tomorrow.  The oncologist mentioned the trial you were on and how early chemo extends survival.  So You have my thanks, along with all the other PCa sufferers that have done clinical trials,  which benefit those that follow.  I’m not sure how it extends survival though.  Does it mean that the average length of hormone sensitive phase of the cancer will now increase from the 18 - 24 months to a longer period?.  Or does it just mean there will just be less cancer round at the end of it?   Kicking myself that I didn’t ask the oncologist when I had the chance!!  Smiley

• Hi 

I’am five years plus and still on Prostap injections every three months my PSA is going up slowly, last test 5.2 I’am on enzalutamide so hope it keeps it at bay or slows it down a bit, There’s a possibility I could have another bout of chemotherapy but I don’t think it will be six cycles. Once everything is done your PSA will drop very significantly.

Remember when you start the chemo, your red cells will drop and so will your immunity, it’s important to take your temperature once in the morning and once at night, to much covid flying about yet. Plus other things.

Stay safe

Joe

• So sorry to hear that, I am 38 years old and was diagnosed in March 2021 with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer. I am on hormone treatment, enzulatimide and due to have RT in next few weeks. Me and my family have found macmillan really helpful as they offer free councilling sessions for us all which have really helped. Maybe that's something you could use, it's good your reaching out to talk and not bottle up those feelings. Take care 

Regards

Paul

"Diagnosed March 2021 at 38 years old with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, my journey so far is on my profile"

• Hi my cancer diagnosis was in February 2019,after having pain in my groin I went to the doctors for a blood test,then put on the prostate pathway, with the results showing Gleason score 9 and PSA 50. MRI T4, N1, M1A. It had left the prostate and entered the pelvis and lymph nodes. I started hormone treatments, then went on to chemotherapy in may. After that I had radiotherapy. Than a few months later I was put enzultamide (xtandi) as cancer was active again. Then of January this year I started having pain again in my right leg and after further scans it has spread to my the bottom of my sacrum. I was put onto chemo in may but unfortunately they stopped as my PSA was rising and it wasn't working. I then has one shot of radiotherapy to try and ease the pain. After that I received that their was no more medicine for me to treat the cancer. At the moment I am just trying to get the right pain relief working as I have very little mobility currently.