Hello

• 28 replies
  • 156 subscribers

I was diagnosed with advanced incurable prostate cancer two and half years ago at the age of 51. I’m now at a point where they is not treatment options left. I’m struggling to talk about it, and I’m just reaching out to others on here to talk about it. 

• Hi, I have joined today my husband got diagnosed with exactly the same last week  at the moment he is that stressed he can't eat or drink without feeling sick  he has dropped from 17 stone to just over 12.. I just don't know what to do to help.. we have his biopsy next week but its now mostly in his bones  ... Will someone please help me

• My husband is also 51...

• Hi Corriander,

Sorry to hear about your PC.  I have only been diagnosed since 27th May 2021 (it's amazing how dates stick in your head).

I have found this online community is a good coping mechanism for me.  I was always one for bottling up everything inside, and once the shock of the Cancer had become normal (if there is a normal with Cancer), once I could physically tell people without breaking down, that actually made me feel better.

The Hormones don't help at all.

I can't imagine how you are feeling inside.

The only comforting thing is that everyone on this online community has the same thing in common, just it affects different people in different ways.

You hear people say things like "at least it's only Prostate Cancer, it's curable".

If they were ever diagnosed...

Sorry for going on a bit, l just get carried away.

All the best, you never know...

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi 

I’ve had Incurable PC for over five years now, it’s in my bones and has been from the start, I probably had this a year or so earlier as it was not picked up till to late.

I had hormone tabs then injections as my PSA was 893, then chemotherapy, then radiotherapy, I’am on enzalutamide now and every time I see the nurses or oncologist I always ask what’s plan B, give me some confidence that there’s a back up. 

Having this for such a long time at first, I did not care, as time went on you always wonder when this things going to get the better of you, but I never dwell on such things, I find something and use it to fight in a different way.

People never understand how it affects others, like my wife, who’s my carer, worries 24/7 and is permanently stressed out about the situation, but I always cheer her up by doing something silly or just being there for her.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Mandyiow

What he is going through is the stress of having this at his age, the ‘why me’ factor can play a lot on your mind, at a guess the being sick part is he’s frightened of has what he’s eaten in the past caused this, which I doubt very much. 
    Has the doctor said anything about his weight loss ? It’s natural for us incurables to have it in our bones, a little tip ask for some a Alca D it strengthens them and every little helps, also if you can get him to drink pomegranate juice that is very good too.

What I have just said may have nothing to do with his condition, but keep us informed we are always here to try and help.

keep strong I know what your going through, it’s not easy by any means.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Joe, thank you so much for your advice and support,  can't t tell you how much this means right now. Nobody has commented on his weight loss I am just trying to keep him as strong as I can, we are both terrified at what the outcome of the biopsy will show as he has that next week. 

I will try what you have suggested though.

Many thanks and take good care of yourself

• Hi

Remember we are all here for you, even if the outcome is bad there’s still meds that can keep him going, I’am a Gleason 9/10 stage 4 and I’am not letting this thing get the better of me. Like others on here we are being positive goes a long way, it won’t happen over night, but baby steps.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi, I know what you are going through, it's a very anxious time, keep talking to  your partner, he will talk when ready, fingers crossed for biospy

• Thanks for reaching out, since joining this community I've seen already how good it is to talk to people who are in a simular situation and understand what we're going through. Hope some good happens to you through treatment and medication. Keeping fingers crossed for you! 

• Joe,

I still get angry the way people dismiss Prostate Cancer.

I know that I had never given it a thought until I was diagnosed. I am guilty of that.

Cancer was the word nobody used. My parents split up when I was 4.  Hardly ever saw my father until I was in my 20s.

Subsequently found out that most of the family on his side died of Cancer.  Get my Colonoscopy every 3 years (next one due end of November after my Radiation sessions finish).

I'm still only 57, have a lot of good living to do.

They say"life begins at 40".

That's when I started falling to bits.

I have Tracey, my partner by my side and I still have my sense of humour.

All the best.

Steve (SteveCam)