Side effects

• 5 replies
  • 155 subscribers

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed 18 months ago when I was 82 and have been having a quarterly hormone injection since then which seems to be succesful since my PSA was very low at the last count. Apart from necessarily disturbed nights i have felt pretty normal except that I have suffered bouts of extreme tiredness. They seem to happen at the worst times, when I am away from home. Normally I keep pretty fit and walk for an hour or so each day but when these episodes hit  I feel completely exhausted and even a bit wobbly. It has made me very wary about travelling by public transport which limits my activities considerably. Just sitting in my car is not a problem.

My question is what should I expect of this? is there any remedy? If I am away from home and get stricken can I get an artificial boost somehow? How do others cope?

• Hi

Its just a point of getting used to the hormone injections, it can change your body and throw up side effects to different people, in time hopefully you will get used to it, fatigue has always been a problem just be careful, until you feel confident about how your body is. Takes time Rome was not built in a day. Just be aware that we all suffer from the same thing, but it keeps us going.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Bracy,

I'm just a young 57 and the Hormones have well and truly got their claws into me.

I've only been on them for 3 1/2 months, next one due on Christmas Eve.  Guess what I will be getting for Christmas?  Mood swings, Hot Flushes and more.

I just take every day as it comes.  Have my good days and also my bad days.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Not at all uncommon, alas. The first 18 months of my HT, I couldn't have walked for an hour, and I put on 4" of waist. And I was nearly 20 years younger than you. But for me, 18 months was 'peak nastiness', and I gradually got on top of it, getting more active and actually reducing my weight.

There's nothing wrong with a nap for an hour or so on bad days, but I generally found it best to 'work through it', and keep active. That helped the sleeping a bit too.

Good Luck!

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi Heinous

that's encouraging, many thanks. I hate my expanding waistline too but consider that to be mere vanity which I have to overcome! In fact i weigh the same as when i got married 60 years ago but it's just redistributed. I take to heart your encouragement to "work through it" which seems to me to be a good general rule in facing this condition.

• Hi Bracey.

You certainly need some determination but you will get through it. Have a look at my reply in the last few minutes to a thread by Tyler19:

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../1619521

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)