Prostate cancer

• 5 replies
  • 152 subscribers

Hi everyone after a recent biopsy of my prostate where 26 samples were taken 9 contained cancer. On the plus side it appears to be contained with the prostate and is not considered to be aggressive. I have been given the options of Radiotherapy preceded by hormone injections, robotic surgery to remove the prostate,  or to monitor the situation.  I have no idea which option to go for.  I am an active 65 year old professional photographer and regularly train in martial arts which I have practiced since my teens.  My main concern is side/after effects and quality of life afterwards.  Can anyone help please.

Thanks  John

• Hi John 

This is a common question RT or surgery?

U don't say what PSa or Gleeson are, I presume low.

Firstly active survive is a definite possibility if all stats are low and tumour is not too large, I was on AS for 4 years.

As far as side effects go with surgery and RT : 

Surgery mainly urinary and ED issues but obviously not everyone will have these long term.

Surgery is quicker because once it's out etc.

Hormone therapy and RT. HT can give side effects but these should go away when the course is finished.

RT side effects r fairly minimal if u don't have any existing bowel or urinary issues already 

Some side effects during RT treatment but should go away a couple of weeks after treatment finishes.

Read about side effect issues online and see what others say 

Best wishes

Steve

• Thank you Steve. PSa is 4.2. No idea what the Gleeson is.

• John 

PSa is near normal, has it gone up from previous lows?

Could be worth finding out the Gleeson score from the biopsy just for the record  and also the figure could help u to decide about active surveillance

Steve

• Thank you Steve.  That`s reassuring. I shall ask about the Gleeson score.  Apologies I am a bit like a Rabbit caught in the headlights. Still getting my head around it.

• That's alright John, it is a big shock when first diagnosed, good news is yours seems a non aggressive type so hopefully easily treatable