Newly diagnosed hubby

• 9 replies
  • 156 subscribers

Hello, my husband has recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer, caught in the very early stages thanks to a routine PSA test. He has opted for Active Surveillance which is three monthly PSA and Yearly MRI. He’s taking it really well but I’m not, I’m really angry at everything and everyone. I’m finding it so difficult to deal with and don’t know what to do.

• Hi Tiger more and welcome

It's often been said on here that it's the partner that suffers more mentally than the patient.

The good news is that it does seem a non aggressive type PC although u don't give a PSA or Gleeson.

I was on active surveillance for 4 years before I went down the Radiotherapy route 

I can assure  you that when u get into a routine  and new normal u  will feel better. 

PSA every 3 months and MRI yearly is about right. There r plenty of treatments out there if/when needed.

Best wishes and keep us posted 

Regards

Steve

• Hi Steve,

Thank you for your kind words and positivity.  Hubs Gleason is 6, 1 out of 8 biopsies cancerous. He is a logical person and believes in dealing with one day at a time. I have to try and learn to follow his lead. Thanks again. 

Lorraine

• Hi Lorraine.

You don't say what his PSA was before the biopsy, but a Gleason score of 6 is OK for active surveillance. Three monthly tests will certainly pick up any changes in the PSA and an annual MRI scan will give the oncology team an indication of any changes in the tumour.

In the meantime I suggest you download the Prostate Cancer Toolkit from the PCUK website which will give you a good idea of possible future treatments. Link here:

https://prostatecanceruk.org/media/2499098/how_prostate_cancer_is_diagnosed-ifm.pdf

Keep in touch with us here.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Hi Seamus, Thank you, I appreciate your advice. Take care.

Lorraine

• Tigernorc

I also reckon it's harder for the partner. Pca suffers know what to do. Just get on with the treatment. But their partners must wonder if they are doing enough or too little or too much. And if it's right or wrong.

I just want my partner to be there. And to act normally. And get on with life.

There are others who know far more than me. But Gleason 6 sounds as if they've caught it very early. You've been unlucky but lucky. If that makes sense.

• Hi Dennis, what you say makes great sense and I agree that to just get on with life as best you can is a positive course of action. Thank you. My thoughts are with you all out here who are cancer sufferers or partners or friends or family. Take care everyone. 
    Lorraine

• Hi Lorraine

Believe me I understand about you being angry, I was with an excellent practice, but I moved the practice I joined found the cancer nearly immediately, unfortunately it was to lat and I’am incurable. I tried suing the last practice as I used to have my bloods taken for all sorts of things and they missed my PSA never the less no firm would take the case. 
    that was five years ago, now I feel what’s the point being angry helps no one, your husband is one of the lucky ones to be found in its early stages, it’s not a point of being angry but being glad, it’s curable he’s going to be with you for a long long time, no need to deal with anything the team he has seen will look after him, if you want to chat with someone personally, McMillan nurses are great at that.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Joe, so sorry to hear about your experience.  As you rightly say we are fortunate with the early diagnosis and the caring team are excellent. Thank you for your kind words.

Take care.

Lorraine

• Prostate cancer is not a nice thing to have, but the one piece of silver lining is that it's a slow one.

You don't say how old he is, or otherwise healthy, but if he's 'early' enough to be on active surveillance, then we're talking decades of life ahead.

Is there anything specific you are angry about, or is just kind of generally?

Also, divert some of that anger into making sure that the surveillance happens; don't take it for granted. The clue is the word "Active"! I'd also make a chart for the PSA, and find out what level would sound the alarm.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.