Metastatic Prostate Cancer diagnosed in a male 71 years. Too late. I have a projected life expectancy of 4 years.

• 6 replies
  • 154 subscribers

I have had three scans , MRI, CT,  and something else. The biggest problem with prostate cancer is the paperwork. The good news is I get attendance allowance ( £ 90 pw ).. Right now I regard pain as my friend ( because pains says don't do that ). According to some  web sites prostate cancer is the most painful way to die. Has anyone got any observations about pain.

I have the honour to remain,

your humble and obedient servant

David Clarke

• Hello David

Sorry to read about what’s going on.

What have you been told so far, PSA Gleason what stage ? They say four years, but their only guessing as no one can say exactly the time you have left. 
    stay safe

joe

• I don't think I have ever heard of PSA Gleason.

I have just trawled through my copies of correspondence between consultants and between those consultants and my GP surgery. 

No reference to PSA Gleason.

regards

David Clarke

• I t seems I have had 2 replies to my post about PSA Gleason but I can't see them.

How do I work this forum?

• It can do strange things.

Always worth refreshing the page, that often sorts the problems.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Once you've had all the tests you need, you  will be discussed at a multi-disciplinary meeting. Once they've reviewed all your tests results, they come up with a 'stage' for your cancer. They will also decide how aggressive it is - that's where Gleason comes in.

Once they have that sorted, they will know what treatment options you have. In you case, as the cancer has metastasised, those choices are somewhat limited - but there still are options.

It's also well worth reading the 'toolkit' for general advice.

Pain can be a big issue with prostate cancer, especially if your metastases are in your bones. Again, plenty of options, starting with paracetamol 1g every six hours, but the sky is the limit.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Just a missing comma, should  read PSA, Gleeson. What are the figures.what do the scans actually show/say?

The more info given the better the advice

Steve