Radiotherapy

• 8 replies
  • 158 subscribers

I’ve been diagnosed with PCa (Gleason 4&3) so am recommended to have treatment due to i'ntermediate' risk.

I've started hormone treatment for 3 months before radiotherapy. Feeling constantly tired, I will persevere but am growing anxious about side effects of radiotherapy as the time to sign consent form approaches. What if I just stop treatment after hormone therapy finishes?

Has anyone reported positive results from apparently less invasive HIFU Focal Therapy?

• Hello and welcome to the community. I am not from this group, so no help with the hormone treatment. I did have 6 weeks radiotherapy for bladder cancer and I believe the side effects are very similar to prostate radiotherapy. I met many of the prostate lads and we compared notes. The treatment itself is easy and painless. Main side effects are tiredness toward the end, but the most common is dodgy bowels. Mine started after treatment finished and was the sudden urge to go. As long as I knew where the next toilet was, I was ok. Things gradually got better after a few weeks. I'm sure some of the group members will be along to share experiences. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi

Radiotherapy affects different people, it can have some effect on your stomach. I had twenty sessions, in the time I had the runs on just one day. 
    Having the treatment shrinks the cancer and kills the cells, that’s why it’s good to use with HT, tiredness and fatigue is part and parcel of the treatment, but less harsh than chemo plus you get used to it after time.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi P 

I wouldn't stop treatment but carry on with the RT, side effects are nothing to worry about and normally stop soon after treatment finishes.

HT is known for its side effects but can affect everyone differently. U don't say how long u are on HT for but again side affects will go away when u have finished treatment or some time after.

Hi fu is worth considering but not all centres do this , also there are no long term success rates for this treatment.

For Hi fu PSa should not be too high and cancer contained within the gland 

Best wishes

Steve

• Hi Percefal had a month of radio on bladder cancer about 10 years ago found it easy to be honest, but all are different, I hit the jackpot and now have pc gleason 4+5 the hormone treatment seems to work for now.. I just think if they offer you treatment then take it. 

• I think for most men, the side effects of radiotherapy are better than the side effects of hormone therapy; and if you are on the unfortunate side, there is help and treatment for most side effects.

Of course the side effects of either pale into insignificance when compared with the effects of untreated prostate cancer.

There's no easy way for us, I'm afraid, it's about choosing the least-worst option and making the best of it.

But it's really most unlikely to be as bad as you seem to think.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• As others say, radiotherapy is unlikely to be as bad as you envisage. I escaped pretty unscathed and would suggest you simply follow all of the guidance you are given before your treatment (such as diet to follow, things to avoid, preparation at each treatment visit etc.) to ensure you keep any side effects to an absolute minimum.

Hormone treatment is definitely the worst part in my experience.

All the best.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Perceval I couldnt agree more with the previous comments. By far the worst part of my treatment has been the HT - I'm on Prostap. So long as you follow the radiographers instruction, particularly the diet sheet ,in my experience, you should have few problems. 

Good luck and from where I am , nearly 18 months post diagnosis, things appear much more scary where you are in this process.

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Thank you for your advice and encouragement, Rily. I’m glad you’ve had a successful outcome and that your bowel is functioning normally again now